display issue at edge of globe

Hello, having some issues with the display at the edge of the globe acting up on Ubuntu Chrome on my IdeaPad.

description: VGA compatible controller

product: Madison [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series]

vendor: Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics)

physical id: 0

bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0

version: 00

width: 64 bits

clock: 33MHz

capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom

configuration: driver=radeon latency=0

See attachment. Thanks much.

bm1.png

Hi Jason,

Do you get that every time you run? Sometimes if we’re running a Chrome tab for a while and constantly refreshing WebGL pages, the rendering starts to look blocky until we close and open a new tab. We think it is a memory leak in Chrome.

However, this looks like it could be different. Are your drivers up to date? I also have a Radeon HD 5000 series (5870), and I don’t get this artifacts. Although ANGLE, which runs WebGL over Direct3D 9, could be helping.

Finally, this could be a near/far plane distance issue, but I assume you have a 24-bit depth buffer which is what the defaults are tuned for. We can try tweaking the values - pushing the near plane way out.

Regards,

Patrick

Yes, I get it every time I run. Since I have struggled with my driver setup I doubt that it is up-to-date and its not even saying a specific model, just 5000 series so that might be a red flag as far as my driver setup. I will try it on Windows and get back to you. Main reason I wanted to post was in case it was an issue for other people. Thanks.

Hey Jason,

Thank you for posting this. For other folks reading this: Jason originally reported this problem on reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/webgl/comments/14ew80/nasas_new_highresolution_earth_black_marble_night/) and I asked him to post a screenshot here.

Do you know offhand if you ended up using a driver from AMD or an open source driver? I believe Ubuntu gives you the option of either (definitely on NVidia hardware, I’m less sure of AMD). If you are using the open source driver, it’s worth trying the AMD one, if you can.

I’m also interested in how it works for you on Windows, just as another data point.

Kevin