Rendering bil data coming from the Arcgis server 10.2

Since arcgis server version 10.2 the server supports bil data. Can the ArcGisImageServerTerrainProvider render the bil elevation data in Cesium without the use of a terrain proxy?

Thanks,

Alberto

Hi,

ArcGisImageServerTerrainProvider won’t work with that out of the box (it expects specially-encoded PNG files, not BIL), but I suspect it would be easy to modify that terrain provider or create a new one that will work with the BIL files provided by the new version of ArcGIS Server. If you try it out, let me know how it goes.

Kevin

Kevin,

I modified the GeoserverTerrainProvider, and I was able to render terrain elevation data coming as bil data from the Arcgis server version 10.2. The changes that I had to make were minimum:

• set isBigEndian to false instead of true.
  • The layers coming from the server where not queryable so I had to change the query from "Layer[queryable=‘1’],Layer[queryable=‘true’] to Layer,Layer[queryable=‘1’],Layer[queryable=‘true’] or just Layer.

The capability to support bil data in Arcgis server was implemented based on the way World Wind map expects the data. That is why the data must be parsed using littleEndian.

Thanks,

Alberto

Hi Alberto,

Cool, glad to hear you got it working! Given how unusable ArcGisImageServerTerrainProvider is currently, we’d welcome a pull request to make it work with the BIL data coming from newer versions of ArcGIS Server!

Kevin