adding walls to a terrain cutaway

1. A concise explanation of the problem you’re experiencing.

I have been using the clipping planes feature to create terrain cutaways. The cutaway is 2D tho, I am wondering if I can make it 3D or attach a wall basically. The link below probably explains it best.

2. A minimal code example. If you’ve found a bug, this helps us reproduce and repair it.

function loadMotown(){

// Pick a position in Morgantown

var position = Cesium.Cartographic.toCartesian(new Cesium.Cartographic.fromDegrees(-79.96, 39.65, 100));

var distance = 1000.0;

var boundingSphere = new Cesium.BoundingSphere(position, distance);

globe.clippingPlanes = new Cesium.ClippingPlaneCollection({

modelMatrix : Cesium.Transforms.eastNorthUpToFixedFrame(position),

planes : [

new Cesium.ClippingPlane(new Cesium.Cartesian3( 1.0, 0.0, 0.0), distance),

new Cesium.ClippingPlane(new Cesium.Cartesian3(-1.0, 0.0, 0.0), distance),

new Cesium.ClippingPlane(new Cesium.Cartesian3( 0.0, 1.0, 0.0), distance),

new Cesium.ClippingPlane(new Cesium.Cartesian3( 0.0, -1.0, 0.0), distance)

],

unionClippingRegions : true

});

viewer.camera.viewBoundingSphere(boundingSphere, new Cesium.HeadingPitchRange(0.5, -0.5, boundingSphere.radius * 5.0));

viewer.camera.lookAtTransform(Cesium.Matrix4.IDENTITY);

}

3. Context. Why do you need to do this? We might know a better way to accomplish your goal.

I want to take the clipping planes terrain cutaway and attach graphs of elevation on the sides for a terrain profile.

Example:

https://www.bluemarblegeo.com/knowledgebase/global-mapper-19/Path_Profile/PathProfile_3DCutaway.htm

4. The Cesium version you’re using, your operating system and browser.

Newest

Chrome

You could create a polygon entity using the 3D points you’ve computed. If you don’t have the points, you might need to sample/raycast to construct this approximate shape, then create your polygon. Drawing a graph on it would involve either just drawing one polyline, or if it’s something more complicated, you could draw to a canvas, and then use that as the material for your polygon.

This seems like a really neat project. Is this something that will be open source or publicly accessible?