Extrude height of GLTF model in CesiumJS

Hi,

I work for an organization where we are building a solution which requires intensive use of cesium.
In a nutshell, The idea is to plot the 2D floorplans in 3D on the globe using cesium. To do this, I have converted AutoCAD DWG file into GLTF using FME. The conversion gave me individual gltf file with ‘.bin’ for each feature.
I have plotted the model on the globe by georeferencing it using an origin point. Below is how I did it.

var heading = Cesium.Math.toRadians(-35.5484764854);
    var pitch = 0.0;
    var roll = 0.0;
    var hpr = new Cesium.HeadingPitchRoll(heading, pitch, roll);

var origin_gf = Cesium.Cartesian3.fromDegrees(-118.4513819217682, 34.05261942045958, 0.0);
    var modelMatrix_gf = Cesium.Transforms.headingPitchRollToFixedFrame(origin_gf, hpr);

$.getJSON('./Source/SampleData/file_paths/gf.json').then( function(data){
        for(var i = 0; i < data.file_path.length; i++){
            viewer.scene.primitives.add(Cesium.Model.fromGltf({
                url : data.file_path[i],
                modelMatrix : modelMatrix_gf,
                scale : 0.025,
                color : Cesium.Color.WHITE
            }));
        }      
    })

Now, this plot is in 2D. I would like to extrude the height of the walls. Is it possible to do so? If yes, How can I do it?

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

–Rahul

Since glTF is already a 3D model, you could scale that up on the vertical axis before loading it in CesiumJS. You could also upload the model to Cesium ion (https://cesium.com/ion) and use the scaling tool to scale that before loading it in your CesiumJS app.

Alternatively you can extrude polygons in GeoJSON, see this example: https://sandcastle.cesium.com/index.html?src=GeoJSON%20and%20TopoJSON.html.

Hey Omar,

Thanks for the information. It is of great help to me. There’s one more thing I am curious about. Is there a way to scale the gltf vertical axis from the CesiumJS itself, without having to go to ion first to scale it and then use it in CesiumJS?

In the above code, The GLTF was loaded in CesiumJS directly and the scaled there itself. Is there a way to scale the vertical axis to extrude the height in CesiumJS itself?

Thanks.
–Rahul

I tried doing this. Here is how I did it. First I converted a 2D Floor plan made in Autocad with dwg file format into gltf using FME.

Then I Uploaded it on Ion with 3D Model (Tile with 3D Tiles) option.

Then I placed it on the globe by choosing the Adjust Tileset Location option where I found the scaling option. with different scaling for x, y, z axes. x and y scaling was working as it was supposed to but z scaling did not had any effect on the model.

I am guessing this happened because there was no z component in the plot as it was a 2d floor plan.

Please guide me if I am doing it wrong or whether this method works on such kind of models or not.

Thanks
–Rahul

Thanks for documenting your process here @Rahul_Choudhary. I think the issue here is that the model can’t be scaled in Cesium ion if it has no thickness at all.

Does FME have a way of exporting it with some base thickness?