Height reference and eye offset for point primitives

I've been using the new point primitive in place of billboards in my application and I'm loving the lower overhead (~35% memory reduction for primitives), but there are a few things I can do with billboards but not points.

The first is height reference support, which I imagine you'll be adding at some point. Has that been planned into a future release yet?

Second is using eye offset to bring points of interest to the front of others in close proximity. My application has a few analysis tools and when hovering points or groups of points in those tools I'd like to show them more prominently on the globe by adjusting their style. This was easy to do with Billboard#eyeOffset, but it doesn't seem I can do this with PointPrimitive without actually moving the point temporarily.

Also, is there a way to disable shading on points so they render as a flat circle? They don't currently have a settable Appearance.

Thanks for your help!
Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Nice, glad you are seeing a 35% win.

The first is height reference support, which I imagine you’ll be adding at some point. Has that been planned into a future release yet?

It is part of #2685. Note that this comes with a good bit of overhead so we are hesitant to do this since the main idea for the point primitive is to be leaner than billboards by removing some features.

This was easy to do with Billboard#eyeOffset, but it doesn’t seem I can do this with PointPrimitive without actually moving the point temporarily.

See above.

Also, is there a way to disable shading on points so they render as a flat circle?

Here is the fragment shader. You could modify it if you want, but I don’t think it does lighting.

Patrick