Offset globe center?

Hi!

I have a rather special use-case where I would need to offset the Globe a bit. Is there a way to do this in Cesium JS? Or where should I put this offset in the code?

I mean if the real globe center would be ECEF 0,0,0 => I would like to move it to lets say 100,0,100 to cause a global offset to the whole coordinate system…

Make new globe with ellipsoid from Globe - Cesium Documentation and Ellipsoid - Cesium Documentation

I’m not sure if you can, but I’d test by setting the new one with the coordinates you are looking for. But idk if it will let you

1 Like

Hi @v12424124_34,

Thank you for bringing your question to our community! I recommend starting with @mhernandez624’s suggestion. In the meantime, I would love to learn more about your use case - why are you looking to offset the WGS 84 globe?

-Sam

It relates to adapting WGS84 map (that is rendered on Globe) to other coordinate systems. Although I actually started thinking Globe offsetting is not really a good way! :slight_smile: It gets too messy… Well, anyways => It is quite big limitation in Cesium that it does not support any custom planar coordinate systems apart from WGS84/WebMercator.

See this one:

Not sure I understand what you’re trying to do, though. Just because Cesium is fixed to WGS84 doesn’t mean your visualisation of stuff is? For most things, convert from coord system X to WGS84, visualise it, and if any of the metadata needs conversion, then do that back to coord system X. Remember that the base datum of a whole 3D system is easier to optimize to a fixed model than a dynamic one, and I like that it’s a fixed model so that we don’t get into the millions of things that could go wrong with a mixed content coord system / model.

But also as stated, you can create a datum that’s different from WGS84, but as soon as you venture into rotation and projection, you’re in for a world of pain. It’s simply not worth doing. So, if I was you, I’d convert stuff from X to WGS84, visualize it, and any metadata (for either processing or visualising) convert it back to X (things like surface coords, coords on a model, or transformations, or whatever). PROJ4 (which I now think is PROJ?) is fast enough not to worry about it, even though it will require some effort on your part as it’s not out of the box.

Cheers,

Alex