Rendering the water using ue4

At first, while I add the terrain and imagery layer using cesium for ue4, how can I add water mask in cesium terrain using ue4 water plugin(https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/BuildingWorlds/Water/index.html) .

Second, If I have a tiff file which show where is water, how can i use water plugin to create a water mask in cesium terrain as the tiff file show.

Hello @jhsyzxy ,

We recently added support for the water mask coming from Cesium World Terrain and any other quantized-mesh dataset with the water mask extension. This feature is already in the main branch in the plugin’s GitHub and will be included in the next release!

-Nithin

It seems very cool,hope for update!

Hey @Nithin_Pranesh

Cesiums been really fun to explore, thanks for bringing this to the Unreal!

I can’t seem to figure out how to mask out the water on any of my projects. I’m currently trying to replace all of the water around the Hawaiian islands with a custom material. Ideally add the UE water system with a dummy landscape in a sub level.

I’ve enabled the water mask checkbox and tried to add a few materials in the water mask material slot but nothing seems to change.

Would you be able to advise on this issue?

Thank you!
Danny

Hi @Tello,

Just to confirm, are you using the latest version of Cesium for Unreal? Changing the material for the Water Mask should definitely be having a visible effect.
To test, can you add a material like WorldGridMaterial to the slot and see if it has an effect? If not, scroll to the top of the details panel and click the button “Refresh Tileset”.

As for the material, if you want to mask out all the water you’ll want to duplicate MLB_CesiumSimpleWater. You can mask out the water in this function by adding the nodes circled below.

1 Like

Hey @agallegos !

Thanks for the help. I realized the main water masking issue I was facing was a hardware issue not a Cesium issue. Apologies, so I am now able to get the Enable Water Mask and Material to display correctly.

I’m also able to use the Cesium Cartographic Polygon to mask out tiles around the shoreline and will be trying to build a UE Water System Ocean to replace that cesium ocean. But I’ll give the MLB_CesiumSimpleWater suggestion a test today to see if I can hide the entire ocean.

Our client is looking to visualize under water Bathymetry at different locations so i’m ultimately looking for a solution to zoom to and from locations at drone height, load a Sub Level with foliage details, and toggle an Ocean off to show under water terrain possibly as hightmap data if I can find it.

Looking forward to exploring more with it, thank you!

2 Likes

Hi Tello, happy to help!

Sounds like a very cool project. If you’re able to share any of your work or things you learn along the way with the community, I’d love to see it. Underwater visualization is still somewhat uncharted waters (haha) with Cesium for Unreal. Best of luck!

1 Like

Hey All!

Wanted to share a project i’m developing for a client. Eventually the goal is to provide them an application so they can to fly-to different locations around the globe and visualize ocean data layers. The process I used came from the Cesium for Unreal documentation:

1. Created an Unreal project with Cesium and standard Cesium World Terrain Setup.
  2. Used the World Composition documentation to create a sublevel for each desired location.
  3. Created level blueprint in the Persistent level with “fly-to” logic
  4. Added some foliage and clouds to the sublevels so they load/unload when entering the specific levels. (Also some logic to change wind direction of the foliage)
  5. I’m currently using a CesiumCartographicPolygon to try and “clip out” the ocean and replace it with a UE water system dynamic ocean.

Lastly, I am controlling the project from a web controller I built using Chauncey Live. For this project, that has enabled me to screen share the app during presentations, provide cloud controls to the clients on the other end!

Feedback welcome and if anyone has made progress on ground level detail with quixel, integrating water systems or underwater terrain… Would love to hear your process. @agallegos thanks for the help!

Best -

Danny

2 Likes