viewer.scene.pickPosition does not work when scene.pickTranslucentDepth = true & pointCloudShading.attenuation = true

Hi, This post is a duplicate of the issue reported in viewer.scene.pickPosition does not work when scene.pickTranslucentDepth = true & pointCloudShading.attenuation = true · Issue #9824 · CesiumGS/cesium · GitHub. I report it also here, as the Cesium Github issues seem to be dead.

I have this Cesium configuration for Viewer and Scene:

var viewer = new Cesium.Viewer("cesiumContainer", {
  terrainProvider: Cesium.createWorldTerrain(),
});
viewer.scene.globe.depthTestAgainstTerrain = false;
viewer.scene.pickTranslucentDepth = true;

and for tileset:

var tileset = new Cesium.Cesium3DTileset({
  url: Cesium.IonResource.fromAssetId(16421),
});
tileset.pointCloudShading.attenuation = true;
tileset.pointCloudShading.eyeDomeLighting = true;

the Scene.pickPosition(…) fails to provide a position of the tile. This issues disappears when either tileset.pointCloudShading.attenuation = false or viewer.scene.pickTranslucentDepth = false.

If you have tileset.pointCloudShading.attenuation = true and viewer.scene.pickTranslucentDepth = true, and the pickPosition provides a define coordinates, try to rotate point cloud, after the rotation almost always the position is undefined.

Sandcastle example: Cesium Sandcastle

Browser:

• Firefox
  • Chromium

Operating System:

• Linux Mint 20

Is there a way to overcome this bug?

@ugnelis

Welcome to the community! :grinning: :rocket:

We generally encourage community members not to post the same question in multiple locations. Overall, this isn’t a great use of anyone’s time and it will not help us get to your question more quickly. A member of our CesiumJS squad will evaluate the issue that you submitted on GitHub shortly. In the unlikely scenario where you do not hear from anyone in the next few days, feel free to reach out again. We really appreciate that you took the time to write up the issue and look forward to getting it resolved.

-Sam

Hi @sam.rothstein,

Thanks for your response. I understand your concern but seeing how the issues are being managed in Cesium’s Github brought me here. For example, one of my issues was posted on August 11, and I still haven’t seen any response (nor a minor one that says that Cesium company is busy). Also, seeing open pull requests from 2017-2019 feels like Cesium’s Open Source community is not that Open Source. That is why I believe posting in multiple Cesium locations is not a bad idea.

-Ugnius

@ugnelis

I understand your frustration. Internally we are doing all we can to make sure that we address all inbound to the best of our abilities. While this issue is important, there are many other pressing bugs that need attention and there is limited developer bandwidth. Please keep in mind that you can always submit a pull request that resolves this bug. I would be happy to review the pull request that you submit. Ultimately, community contribution is what makes CesiumJS so great :grin: Submitting a PR is often the quickest way to get an issue fixed.

-Sam