3d models from ion in CZML

Hi all,
I’m creating a czml file to show movement of ships over a period of time and I’m struggling to figure out how exactly I get the model from ion into CZML. I’ve been playing with the time dynamic point demo to see if I could get the model to show up but what I’m doing is not working. Here’s what I have sandcastle

Thanks,
Tealminivan

Hi @tealminivan,

Thanks for your post! Just to be clear, what kind of a model are you trying to convert into CZML?

Best,
Sam

Hey Sam,

I’m just trying to convert a simple .gltf model that I have uploaded onto Ion into CZML.

Thanks,
Tealminivan

Hi @tealminivan,

I recommend taking some time to look through the CZML spec. It might also make to look through some high-level material on CZML. CZML is used for describing scenes in virtual spaces. For instance, it can be used to orchestrate where a glTF model will be located at a given time. Thus, it does not make sense to convert from glTF to CZML, as they serve different purposes.

CZML does have a member called model, which allows you to associate a 3D model (such as aglTF) with a CZML object. One use case of this would be to set the initial position of the model. The implementation for this would be in your JavaScript file. This sandcastle demo showcases how this can be accomplished:

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Best,
Sam