Billboards Parallel to Ground

Not a problem just a question :slight_smile:

I know over the years I have seen a couple people ask if it is possible to make a billboard stay parallel to the ground and not face the camera. Just wondering if it is possible or not with Cesium’s current capability? I was thinking about creating a rectangle and using material, but this would require the image to be removed and added back to the screen when the user zoomed in or out, and I was concerned about the performance when lots of items existed…

1. A concise explanation of the problem you’re experiencing.

2. A minimal code example. If you’ve found a bug, this helps us reproduce and repair it.

3. Context. Why do you need to do this? We might know a better way to accomplish your goal.

4. The Cesium version you’re using, your operating system and browser.

Thanks in advance

Jerrold Stoy

I would say the best way to do this right now is a rectangle with a textured material as you described. Can you describe why the image would need to be removed and added back? Unless this is the behavior you want in your application. You should be able to use a distance display condition for rectangle entities:

https://cesiumjs.org/Cesium/Build/Documentation/DistanceDisplayCondition.html?classFilter=Distance