Cesium in 2018 - what do you want to see?

typescript +1 !

Patrick,

-Redesign the Texture atlas so image updates reuse the same space in the texture atlas. This fix is very important for tactical applications.
- Better handling of the Gimbal lock. I checked in the World Wind Java map and there is no issue.

Thanks,

Alberto

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion, it would indeed be useful! I found the previous thread, and we have an issue open on GitHub. I’ve noted switching textures at runtime in the following doc to track this disccusion, we’ll account for it when prioritizing features:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ltxecb8VACqVz7-Ok4-0n0vInUtvDGVJpo_fmcJW124/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Gabby

Hi Terry,

We have an issue for bathymetry/subsurface in GitHub here, it’s definitely a popularly requested feature! We probably refer to the concept as “subsurface” more than “bathymetry”. We also have a pending PR open for underwater rendering.

Thanks,

Gabby

Hi Mark,

Cesium itself does only support one terrain provider at a time. The tools we have in mind are described here, and are aimed at uploading and processing the terrain data up front rather than combining terrain providers at runtime. Implementing that in Cesium itself would be a large task, but it would certainly be useful. I’ve noted your suggestion, but I don’t believe we’ll see it in the immediate future at least. However as you know, we’ll always welcome contributions!

Thanks,

Gabby

Hi Alberto,

Thanks for the suggestions!

Redesign the Texture atlas so image updates reuse the same space in the texture atlas. This fix is very important for tactical applications.

Could you elaborate on what the end goal or use case is? That would help when implementing this feature. For example, is it for animated/changing billboards?

Better handling of the Gimbal lock. I checked in the World Wind Java map and there is no issue.

Could you point to how they handle Gimbal lock? I believe it is simply a consequence of using 3 degrees of freedom to describe a rotation, and the alternative would to be to use Quaternions.

Thanks,

Gabby

I would like to see the KML clampToGround flag override everything else so that even features with no altitudeMode, tessellate or extrude values set can be forced to clamp to ground.

Thanks Andrew! Noted.

Thanks to all for your ideas and responses! If you have anymore feedback, we’d like to hear it. Even a +1 for a desired feature is useful!

Hi,

we would really like to see the following points:

• subsurface visualization

• polyline on terrain

• VR(WebVR Support for HTC Vive/Occulus Rift)

• better shadow rendering quality

• better performance especially for ie11 is always good ( we unfortunately have many customers where the ie11 is the preferred and fixed browser choice )

Thanks, Jannes

Beside 3d tile tool, i am also interested in how to create my own dtm data and add it on cesium. tks, Cesium team.

Patrick Cozzi於 2018年1月2日星期二 UTC+8上午4時08分47秒寫道:

Thanks Jannes!

Could you describe your use case for shadows? It would help us figure out a plan for how to improve the shadow rendering.

Hi Willy,

Thanks for letting us know about your interest in terrain. The commercial tools we have planned for cesium.com would cover uploading your own terrain data as well. In the meantime, STK Terrain Server is an available tool.

Hi,

We would greatly benefit from:
- subsurface views
- support for textured ground primitives
- polyline on terrain
- 3D VectorTiles

Best,
Ben

Hi , Gabby.

Thank you for your information and news

I will try STK and look forward the in coming tool for Cesium 3d tile .

Willy Wang

Director/ Sr. GIS Planner

GIS Technology Center

Supergeo

5F., No. 71, Zhouzi St., Neihu District, Taipei City, Taiwan.
Tel: +886-2-2659-1899 # 333
Fax: +886-2-2659-0612
Monday–Friday, 08:30 to 18:00 (GMT+8)

I would love to see issue #2310 implemented (Path visualizer optimization). The poor performance is such that when I have even a small number of paths drawn, my application speed suffers greatly.

-Steven

Thanks for the input Ben! Can you clarify what you mean by 3D VectorTiles? There are a few different definitions, for example what Mapbox calls Vector Tiles is different from what Cesium calls Vector Tiiles.

+1+1+1 for polylines and polygons draped on the stk surface.

My bigger goal is to be able to visualize timestamped Viewshed analyses in 3d. The only way I have been able to do this is to vectorize positive values of each analysis and merge them into a 2D layer in an arcGIS Pro scene. Unfortunately the vector data is still too large for displaying in any online globe I have ever tried... even after aggressively simplifying it. Cesium seems like the answer, but I am still lost when it comes to optimizing and draping the data onnthe terrain.

Hi Gabby, just saw you merged https://github.com/AnalyticalGraphicsInc/cesium/pull/6097 which covers what we need, so I can check that off of my wish list!

Gabby,

I have tactical applications that update billboards on the map continuously .

A more graceful handling of the error Gimbal would be sufficient. I need to take a look to the Worldwind web software to find out how they do it.

Thanks,

Alberto