Cesium ion - it's new

Hi all,

Along with the CesiumJS 1.43 release today, we also announced our upcoming commercial Cesium ion platform.

As you have likely experienced yourself, many developers using CesiumJS ask questions like:

• How do I generate 3D Tiles for my photogrammetry model, point cloud, CAD model, vector data, etc.?
  • How do I find a 3D buildings dataset, terrain, or imagery for a particular area?
    Cesium ion will address questions like this by offering subscriptions to web services for curated 3D content and 3D tiling to convert your own data.

(Note that we are now referring to Cesium, the JavaScript library, as CesiumJS, as many folks already do, to differentiate it from ion.)

The initial version of ion will roll out on May 1 with support for tiling your own terrain and imagery in the cloud, sign up here. We expect 3D Tiles features to quickly follow since enterprise customers have been using our 3D tiling pipelines for quite some time.

There will be a free account for non-commercial and non-government use, and paid accounts for commercial and government use, and more cloud storage. This is a great thing for the open-source community; ion customers will help sustain and accelerate CesiumJS development and those using free ion accounts will have access to 3D content and 3D tiling services.

We released a small part of ion today with the new higher-resolution Cesium World Terrain which replaces the now deprecated STK World Terrain. It is free until September 1, 2018, even for commercial and government use

The Cesium team is particularly excited about ion since it is our first product built around CesiumJS to support developing open-source CesiumJS. Thanks to the Cesium community for inspiring us with the endless possibilities for 3D maps! We are looking forward to the next 6,500 forum threads!

Check out the Hello Cesium ion blog post for more details. Let’s use this thread to discuss any general or roadmap questions.

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi,

Scott asked about polylines on terrain in CesiumJS, but the message was flagged by Google’s spam filter and I apparently did not unspamify it correctly.

We are currently working on textured polygons on terrain (branch) and the ability to z-order them (#6316). Once these are done, we will start on polylines on terrain, and should finish in June.

Thanks,

Patrick

Great!
Is there any code available to view data 3D using Cesium on Localhost?

Thanks

Akshay Gore

Hi Akshay,

Take a look at the Cesium Getting Started Guide, and if you have more questions, please open a new thread.

Thanks!

Gabby

Hey Patrick!

These are great news for the Cesium community. Cesium ion platform looks very exciting and interesting!

I have been wondering, when are you planning to release 3D contents (e.g. buildings) and conversion tools for 3D data (i.e. CityGML to 3D tiles) over the Cesium ion platform?

Are there any dates projected? Haven’t seen them on the Cesium website.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the kind words.

We have several conversion tools available today as enterprise CLI versions that you could, for example, integrate into your own infrastructure. We are working to integrate these into the ion platform so they are easy to access for folks that just want to drag & drop, use a REST API, etc. These will be rolling out this year. If you want to check out the CLI versions in the meantime, send me an email.

For 3D content, we are currently focused on adding higher-resolution terrain to areas of interest in Cesium World Terrain. 3D buildings are next on the list. Would love to hear more about your use case, e.g., what type of coverage and quality do you need?

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I’m wondering if you guys can clarify how the “free until September 1, 2018” works for Cesium World Terrain. The linked blog post says:

Cesium contains a built-in ion account key free for non-commercial, commercial, and government use until September 1, 2018.

And that does appear to be true. But using the default key also plasters:

This application is using Cesium’s default ion access token. Please assign Cesium.Ion.defaultAccessToken with an access token from your ion account before making any Cesium API calls. You can sign up for a free ion account at https://cesium.com.

at the bottom of the window, which not only doesn’t make it sound like things are fine until September 1, but also is going to be pretty annoying for my end-users who will have no idea what it means.

So, am I doing this right? Or am I meant to sign up for a community account and use that until September 1, even for commercial/government applications?

After September 1, I’ll need one or more commercial accounts for my applications. But, as you know, I also have a library, called TerriaJS, that others can use to build their own applications. It shows off the power of Cesium and TerriaJS better, as well as hopefully helps sell more ion subscriptions, if TerriaJS has nice terrain out of the box. So my plan is that the library will ship rigged to use the default ion key, but I’ll override the “Please assign Cesium.Ion.defaultAccessToken with an access token…” message to have TerriaJS-specific instructions for installing the ion token. Just wanted to run that by you guys to make sure it sounds ok.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin - can definitely support this, will contact you offline.

Patrick

Can Cesium Ion stream terrain data into a 3rd party application except of CesiumJS? That is, is it obligatory to use a Cesium Viewer for visualizing Cesium World Terrain?

Thanks!

That’s definitely possible! This blog post talks more about ion’s architecture so you might find that useful.

Kevin - can definitely support this, will contact you offline.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I'm wondering if you guys can clarify how the "free until September 1, 2018" works for Cesium World Terrain. The linked blog post says:

Cesium contains a built-in ion account key free for non-commercial, commercial, and government use until September 1, 2018.

And that does appear to be true. But using the default key also plasters:

This application is using Cesium's default ion access token. Please assign Cesium.Ion.defaultAccessToken with an access token from your ion account before making any Cesium API calls. You can sign up for a free ion account at https://cesium.com.

at the bottom of the window, which not only doesn't make it sound like things are fine until September 1, but also is going to be pretty annoying for my end-users who will have no idea what it means.

So, am I doing this right? Or am I meant to sign up for a community account and use that until September 1, even for commercial/government applications?

After September 1, I'll need one or more commercial accounts for my applications. But, as you know, I also have a library, called TerriaJS, that others can use to build their own applications. It shows off the power of Cesium and TerriaJS better, as well as hopefully helps sell more ion subscriptions, if TerriaJS has nice terrain out of the box. So my plan is that the library will ship rigged to use the default ion key, but I'll override the "Please assign Cesium.Ion.defaultAccessToken with an access token..." message to have TerriaJS-specific instructions for installing the ion token. Just wanted to run that by you guys to make sure it sounds ok.

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi all,

Along with the CesiumJS 1.43 release today, we also announced our upcoming commercial Cesium ion platform.

As you have likely experienced yourself, many developers using CesiumJS ask questions like:
How do I generate 3D Tiles for my photogrammetry model, point cloud, CAD model, vector data, etc.?How do I find a 3D buildings dataset, terrain, or imagery for a particular area?
Cesium ion will address questions like this by offering subscriptions to

web services for curated 3D content and 3D tiling to convert your own data.

(Note that we are now referring to Cesium, the JavaScript library, as CesiumJS, as many folks already do, to differentiate it from ion.)

The initial version of ion will roll out on May 1 with support for tiling your own terrain and imagery in the cloud, sign up here. We expect 3D Tiles features to quickly follow since enterprise customers have been using our 3D tiling pipelines for quite some time.

There will be a free account for non-commercial and non-government use, and paid accounts for commercial and government use, and more cloud storage. This is a great thing for the open-source community; ion customers will help sustain and accelerate CesiumJS development and those using free ion accounts will have access to 3D content and 3D tiling services.

We released a small part of ion today with the new higher-resolution Cesium World Terrain which replaces the now deprecated STK World Terrain. It is free until September 1, 2018,

even for commercial and government use

The Cesium team is particularly excited about ion since it is our first product built around CesiumJS to support developing open-source CesiumJS. Thanks to the Cesium community for inspiring us with the endless possibilities for 3D maps! We are looking forward to the next 6,500 forum threads!

Check out the Hello Cesium ion blog post for more details. Let's use this thread to discuss any general or roadmap questions.

Thanks,
Patrick--

twitter.com/pjcozzi

--

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "cesium-dev" group.

To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/cesium-dev/SJk-3sBAvBk/unsubscribe.

To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to cesium-dev+...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Hi Patrick,

I am using Cesium Ion with olcesium but I can't figure where to place the token I got from Tim... cause its a bit different from a classic viewer, if I place the
Cesium.Ion.defaultAccessToken before
scene.terrainProvider = Cesium.createWorldTerrain({..

it doesn't work...

thanks for your help!
J.Fozzani

Hey J.Fozzani,

When you say it doesn’t work, do you mean you’re getting an error, or it’s not streaming terrain, or something else?

It might be easier to open a new thread and post your question there, and I’d be happy to take a look.

Hi!
I had black screen but now its working,nevertheless I still got the message 'please assign Cesium...token...'
thanks in advance, best regards

Great to hear it’s working!

If you’re planning to use imagery/terrain/assets from ion in an application, make sure to set your own token: https://cesium.com/ion/tokens

Hi,

Actually I have my token,when I use it with the viewer and olcesium I get rid of the message 'please assign....' but terrain is not working
(TypeError: e is null[En savoir plus] Cesium.js:535:6460 ), when I disable the viewer the terrain is working but I have the message 'please assign....'

Can you open a new thread to debug this issue? And if you can include the code you’re using that’ll help narrowing down the issue as well.

ok no problem