Credit where credit is due

Hi there,

A slightly different one this time, but I’m chasing all possible source objects / places in Cesium where credits may come through. I’m rewriting how credits are dealt with in our application, and in our internal db ad objects we have various bits of credit coming through, so I wanted to marry Cesium credits into that.

The obvious place to start is the ImageryProviders, where the factory ones have a read-only credit property and the custom one where you can set it. (Btw, the factory ones usually say " This function should not be called before “UrlTemplateImageryProvider.ready returns true”, indicating that the credits are pulled from a source, however I noticed that OpenStreetMaps licence is still the old one, even in the latest 1.97 version, so maybe they’re not?)

So the question is, are there any other places where credits come through? I saw credit in KML/GeoJSON DataSource, but not in DataSource alone, for example. Where else should I look?

Finally, these are all simple text fields (I’m assuming). Are there any ideas / plans / hidden features around structured credit? A WMS source can have fairly complicated structures, which you collate into a text string, but there could be copyrights, licenses, owners, contacts, etc. Any Cesium plans around these (as Id hate to double-parse data as it comes in)

So, the tally so far;

• Factory ImageryProviders
  • Factory (KML/GeoJSON) DataSources

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Terrain providers add credits per-frame based on what is currently visible. Additionally, it was recently updated so that 3D Tilesets and glTF models will also display credits if attributed.

There are also ways to add credit displays manually, but there has been some discussion around whether the API and documentation are as clear as they should be.

indicating that the credits are pulled from a source, however I noticed that OpenStreetMaps licence is still the old one, even in the latest 1.97 version, so maybe they’re not?

Yes, attributions for credits are usually embedded in the data itself. Could you point me towards where you see the old license so we can check on it?

Finally, these are all simple text fields

Generally they are text, but they can include links and images. See the Credit class for how they are used.

Hope that helps,
Gabby

Hi Gabby,

Thanks for that, everything helps. Yeah, it’s a bit simple, but I’ll convert our more complex ones into suitable simpler ones. Thanks for that!

Cheers,

Alex