Different behavior of Eintities on different computers

When displaying an entity, which is defined as follows and then added to the viewer via viewer.entities.add(myEnt), error messages occur in the same browsers on different computers:

const myEnt = {
        name,
        properties: new PropertyBag({
          'North West': nw,
          'North East': ne,
          'South East': se,
          'South West': sw
        }),
        polygon: {
          hierarchy: Cartesian3.fromDegreesArrayHeights([
            nw.coordinates[0],
            nw.coordinates[1],
            nw.coordinates[2],
            ne.coordinates[0],
            ne.coordinates[1],
            ne.coordinates[2],
            se.coordinates[0],
            se.coordinates[1],
            se.coordinates[2],
            sw.coordinates[0],
            sw.coordinates[1],
            sw.coordinates[2]
          ]),
          material: new ImageMaterialProperty({
            image: config.getByUuid(
              fileUuid
            ),
            alpha: 1
          }),
          perPositionHeight: true,
          outline: true
        }
      };

The coordinates are lon, lat and height values of four corners to draw the Polygon, representing the four corners of the image which should be used as Material.
On one computer, the entities are displayed correctly and without errors, but on another computer in the same browser (Chromium & Chrome, newest version, Linux Mint), the same CesiumJS application throws the following error:

An error occured while rendering. Rendering has stopped.
DeveloperError: Height must be less than or equal to the maximum texture size (4096). Check maximumTextureSize.

getByUuid returns the complete image file from a database.
What is the reason for this? How can I find out why different computers cause different behavior and how can I fix this?

This sounds like these two devices have different graphics hardware. You can verify this by opening WebGL report on both:

https://webglreport.com/

Check “Max Texture Size”. I suspect the one that crashes has a much smaller limit. You may be able to query for this limit the same way WebGL Report does (source code here: https://github.com/CesiumGS/webglreport).

How large is this image?

The png image has a file size of 1.3 MB (2381 * 4904 pixel).
The texture size on one machine is in Chromium 16384 (works, no warnings) and 8192 in Firefox. On the other tested machine, where the adding fails, the values are 4096 for Chromium and 8192 for Firefox.

A strange behavior is also that the same action can be performed in Firefox on all tested machines without occurring this error message. Does this mean that the browsers also support the available hardware differently? Do you know if it is possible to increase this value in Chromium?

That is surprising that Chromium returns a different value compared to Firefox. Are you using the latest version of the browser on that machine? Updated drivers and everything?

If so, I’d search if this is a known bug or report it here: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list.

1 Like

Yes, Chromium and Chrome are returning the same values, but they differ from Firefox. Everything is up to date.
Thanks, I will try to look at Chromium project.