I'm so excited about this project

I was able to set up Eclipse, install github repository, run combine, got skeleton example and sandbox working on localhost:8080.

My problem is I don’t know which files I need to pull out to create a “release” version that I can put on my website.

My website http://rezn8d.com/3D/index.html uses Google Earth plugin, I am hoping to replace GE plugin with Cesium as fast as possible, and I am willing to recreate all of my KML files in CZML if I can get a working version on my webpage. I intend to keep the formatting identical, jQuery accordion 100% height 200px wide left align, with remainder of screen being the Cesium window.

I figured before I completely rip the demo from Cesium Viewer I would ask you good people.

I want to use the controls in the top left in my website, can I get the files used in this demo in a zip? I’m pretty sure if I could get all the source files for that demo I can make this work.

After reviewing ReadyMap, WebGL Earth, gvSIG, and a few others, Cesium is hands down the winner! Amazing project gang, I eagerly await each update.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I intend to showcase your software in a unique way that is sure to bring TONS of hits your way. Thank you for your hard work.

I was able to remove all recursive links and get it running online, my programmer has a semi working kml->czml converter which should be working by the end of the day, and it’s online:

http://rezn8d.com/4D/

And mayhem ensues…

You might be interested in checking out the existing C# KML to CZML converter found in the czml-writer project.

Regards,

Kristian

we couldn’t find an executable file in that git, so he built me a windows command line interface for it, which is now working. Apparently the previous failure was caused by the converters inability to work with relative path icon urls, after manually modifying the kml to link to icons using a full http url, output was successful. Now time to test the output…

Did we miss something in your source?

Ah, okay, so you are using czml-writer. You’re correct that so far it’s just a library. Command line and web service converters are next on the czml-writer roadmap, but that’s great that you were able to get it working!

the CLI is written in C# as well, current problem is with icons labels. Why does the library need to determine the MIME type of an icon style? Why not just copy the url and be done with it? This MIME check is causing a fail, im about to ask him to edit the MIME check out…

Can I get a zip of the demos on the cesium.agi.com website? Would save me the next hour of going line by line and downloading them…

the CLI is written in C# as well, current problem is with icons labels. Why does the library need to determine the MIME type of an icon style? Why not just copy the url and be done with it? This MIME check is causing a fail, im about to ask him to edit the MIME check out…

In order to show icons in WebGL, they need to be loaded as textures, which requires the images to be loaded using cross-origin permission: https://developer.mozilla.org/en/WebGL/Cross-Domain_Textures

Because most web servers do not serve images with the proper headers, the easiest way to make sure images work is to directly embed the images in the CZML document itself. Eventually, this should be configurable, I’ll check to see if it’s on our road map.

Almost everything on the website is in the ‘viewer’ branch on github. If you look in the apps/Viewer directory you’ll find it. You can run everything locally from there as well. The website has a lot of old and out of date prototype code that we will be transitioning to the new code soon. I can send out more details when I’m near my computer, I’m sending this from my mobile.

Thanks guys, I was able to get the CesiumViewer demo running once I launched ant runServer in eclipse. I can’t wait to see a streamlined code, if at all possible will this “release” code contain an index.html and all required files in a single sub-folder which branches if necessary? The recursive folder links makes it a headache. Also, will can I not run the CesiumViewer demo file with using localhost? My files at http://rezn8d.com/4D/ load fine with no ant server… thx again.

coding headache = bad spelling

why do I have to use localhost to get your demo working when my file i altered does not require this?

/facepalm

This is what you call winning!

http://rezn8d.com/5D/Apps/CesiumViewer/index.html?source=haarp.czml

Files are still uploading but you can clearly see it is working. This file was converted using Automenta’s CLI and your library, icon sizes were out of whack so I altered the text in the file. Several bugs to work through but it’s a great start for finding your project today!

Current bugs:

• titles centered on icons
  • icons disappear on extreme zoom in
  • image overlay resizes like icons when it should be stuck to the ground and match the actual footage “size wise”
  • balloon contents are not present, were they destroyed or not supported?
    just initial observations

thx for all the help, I look forward to pushing you guys to the limit to make this the best open source map… awesomesauce

you can compare these results to the original kmz file in google earth plugin by going here
http://rezn8d.com/3D/ and clicking Radio Frequency > HAARP

Ah, okay, so you are using czml-writer. You’re correct that so far it’s just a library. Command line and web service converters are next on the czml-writer roadmap, but that’s great that you were able to get it working!

correct, we added the following 2 functions to KMLConverter.cs’s main() to use it, below. sorry it’s not git commited and pull request but i thought i’d paste it here. the other change was to add GIF mime-type support in CesiumFormattingHelper.cs

static void Main(string args)

{

String filename = “”;

if (args.Length == 0) {

System.Console.WriteLine (“Usage: KmlConverter [input .kml file] > [output .czml file]”);

return;

}

else {

filename = args[0];

CzmlDocument d = new CzmlDocument();

if (filename.EndsWith(“.kmz”)) {

KmzToCesiumLanguage(FileToByteArray(filename), d);

}

else if (filename.EndsWith(“.kml”)) {

KmlToCesiumLanguage(FileToByteArray(filename), d);

}

System.Console.WriteLine(d.StringWriter.ToString());

}

}

static public byte FileToByteArray(string _FileName)

{

byte _Buffer = null;

try

{

// Open file for reading

System.IO.FileStream _FileStream = new System.IO.FileStream(_FileName, System.IO.FileMode.Open, System.IO.FileAccess.Read);

// attach filestream to binary reader

System.IO.BinaryReader _BinaryReader = new System.IO.BinaryReader(_FileStream);

// get total byte length of the file

long _TotalBytes = new System.IO.FileInfo(_FileName).Length;

// read entire file into buffer

_Buffer = _BinaryReader.ReadBytes((Int32)_TotalBytes);

// close file reader

_FileStream.Close();

_FileStream.Dispose();

_BinaryReader.Close();

}

catch (Exception _Exception)

{

// Error

Console.WriteLine("Exception caught in process: {0}", _Exception.ToString());

}

return _Buffer;

}

Some of the issues you mention, like icons disappear on extreme zoom in, are on our roadmap. Please be aware that the KML converter doesn’t support the full KML spec yet. As we add new features to Cesium, we include them in the converter.

Patrick

does CZML support all of the features of KML? If so I am sure SeH can get the rest of the content in the converter. Just wondering if the CDATA content isn’t being converted because it’s not in the converter or because it’s not supported in the file format. Where can I find a description of features currently supported in CZML vs what is already in the converter?