Implement Heatflask with Cesium

Hi All, I am looking for some advice about using Cesium for an existing 2D project.

I have a web-app called Heatflask (https://heatflask.herokuapp.com) that uses Leaflet.js as the 2D map API. It presents a visualization of movement tracks in what I call a semi-static or a frequency-map.

The semi-static representation is “semi-static” in the sense that we see the whole activity animated at once, with several copies of the moving entity, moving in parallel.

I have been looking for ways that I can do this in 3D and Cesium looks like a good choice.

The thing is that the the CZML examples I’ve seen just won’t cut it. I need to be able to do this for a thousand or more data tracks.

Also, the movement is continuous and periodic, not just a single replay. And it is interactive. I need to be able to select tracks.

Can someone experienced with Cesium give me some idea how I might go about doing this?

Thanks! – Efrem

CZML is just a convenient of way loading/storing entities in Cesium and it mirrors the programmatic API. Whether or not you load it as CZML, you should be able to make it dynamic/selectable etc.

Thousands/tens of thousands of entities should generally work fine. There are some known issues with very long polylines on terrain since it has to sample the ground height at lots of locations for that to work accurately.

You should give this a shot and let me know if you run into any issues. I’d love to see an app like this with CesiumJS (and I’d appreciate learning about any issues that would hinder that).