is there a informal chat channel where cesium enthusiasts can hang ..? gitter, slack, discord, etc

1. A concise explanation of the problem you’re experiencing.

The new developer loop is especially subject to getting stuck on problem/s that other people often find trivial, and having a low-pressure channel for people to ask questions is a excellent way of speeding up this process

2. A minimal code example. If you’ve found a bug, this helps us reproduce and repair it.

a channel in https://gitter.im would be great. maybe https://gitter.im/AnalyticalGraphicsInc/cesium or 'gitterjs/general/ or whatever

3. Context. Why do you need to do this? We might know a better way to accomplish your goal.

see above

4. The Cesium version you’re using, your operating system and browser.

all of them.

Hey David,

There is not one currently, but that is a good suggestion, thanks! I’ll take a look and see if it would be appropriate for us to support one as a team. I’d also be interested to hear if other community members would like to see this, If so, please chime in!

Thanks,

Gabby

I’ll second the idea of some sort of team chat!..I think a Gitter/Slack/Discord/Microsoft Teams/Google Hangouts chat would be a good idea. Cesium has grown to the point where there are probably enough community members to idle in the chat to answer questions or at least point someone in the right direction! The one request that I have if something like this is implemented is that the chat history be logged indefinitely so previous problems/solutions are searchable just like the forum.

Cool, thanks for the input Dan. We’d definitely want to have a searchable log of the chat history if possible (I know it makes my job a lot easier!).

well, a gitter.im general chat room has the following features:

• free (for a public room )

• everything is fully logged to the cloud and searchable

• should take someone approximately 2 minutes to make. nudge, nudge.

I have no affiliation with gitter other than being a happy user.

Buzz

Hi Buzz,

We’ve considered, and decided that the team can’t commit to supporting an official chat channel. Instead we’ll continue to focus our support efforts on the forum here. Hopefully this is still a place where community members feel they can ask low-pressure questions and get responses from others in the community!

Thanks,

Gabby

there are probably enough community members to idle in the chat to answer questions or at least point someone in the right direction!

Why aren’t more developers, who have been helped by the Cesium developer forum, helping other user’s solve problems that they have already solved???

It only takes a few minutes, if you have previously solved the same question.

If you work at a for-profit business, and got “free” help from the forum, then your boss owes the community some pay-back while you are on-the-clock.

I contribute on nights and weekends,occasionally, with my limited knowledge.

That’s the spirit of open source development. Users helping users.

IMO, we don’t need another forum. Keep it all under one roof.

I have seen the number of questions posted increase faster than the number of paid staff at CesiumJS.org who are dedicate to providing tech support.

This is a non-profit org!!! Help them out!

They can’t hire more tech support staff without cash donations. Put up some money, or donate your time.

Thank you, Gabby, Scott, Sarah, Hannah, Matt, Patrick, and everyone at CesiumJS.org!

Hey Left Gully,

Just to clear some thing up, Cesium is run by a company called AGI which uses Cesium in some of their products for visualization. So we are not part of a non-profit company, and we don’t take donations.

We are however a small team which consists of mainly developers. Since building both open source and commercial products for the Cesium community is our main priority, we can be stretched thin at times and we don’t have any one person dedicated to providing support. Any help from the community on the forum here makes us all much more productive!

From Scott, Sarah, Hannah, Matt, Patrick, Sean, and myself, thanks for your support and encouragement, we greatly appreciate it!