New Cesium showcase: Cycling the Alps

Folks,

There’s a new showcase for Cycling the Alps:

http://cesiumjs.org/demos/cyclingthealps.html

This app was originally written using the Google Earth plugin. Dennis Wegewijs did an excellent job porting it to Cesium in his spare time.

Patrick

That looks awesome! I wonder if those are 3D line segments, or 2D line segments clamped to terrain, and if the position of the bike icon is accurate in relation to time. Adding current speed and slope grade would be some nice additions, assuming that data is available.

Hi,

At the moment they are not accurate in relation to time but I already had thoughts about that.

I have two ideas currently that I would like to have in the near future.

1. Enhancement of the current feature with:

a. A nice lookAt so the camera is pointing into the direction of the pass height and is already tilted so the 3D view is shown instead of the 2D starting view that is currently implemented

I already had something working in my test sample but this worked only for that one example and not for the other 2000 routes Cycling the Alps is presenting so I left it out until that is fixed

b. In the upper left corner show a dialog with distance, actual grade, actual height etc.

c. Change the speed of the timer to a more realistic speed that fits to an average cyclist riding up a mountain (10 - 12km/h)

d. Start the timer or building up the route as soon as the flyTo has finished

1. Almost real time building up of the route during cycling events like Tour de France and Giro d’Italia

a. I know the speed of a professional cyclist so I could use that time and distance of a climb to have the route building up accurate in time.
Every time the riders start climbing a big climb I could also start the route for example

b. Similar as above would be: presenting the complete route of a stage (which is not yet implemented). The tour originators always estimate how long a stage takes and when it starts. So also herer would have the possibility to display the route in almost real time.
c. Off course with live gps data this would be even more fun and really cool.

Anyway many stuff to do.

Dennis

Hi,

At the moment they are not accurate in relation to time but I already had thoughts about that.

I have two ideas currently that I would like to have in the near future.

1. Enhancement of the current feature with:

a. A nice lookAt so the camera is pointing into the direction of the pass height and is already tilted so the 3D view is shown instead of the 2D starting view that is currently implemented

I already had something working in my test sample but this worked only for that one example and not for the other 2000 routes Cycling the Alps is presenting so I left it out until that is fixed

The current flyto is a bit disorienting. Initially it would be nice to face the direction of flight, then change to a lookat mode upon arrival. Also by the time of arrival the bike has already traveled quite a bit. Cesium 1.6 provides a new lookat system that might be useful. The default viewer does allow one to change the tilt by moving the mouse while holding the mwheel button, but I’m not sure how many are aware of this.

b. In the upper left corner show a dialog with distance, actual grade, actual height etc.

c. Change the speed of the timer to a more realistic speed that fits to an average cyclist riding up a mountain (10 - 12km/h)

d. Start the timer or building up the route as soon as the flyTo has finished

1. Almost real time building up of the route during cycling events like Tour de France and Giro d’Italia

a. I know the speed of a professional cyclist so I could use that time and distance of a climb to have the route building up accurate in time.
Every time the riders start climbing a big climb I could also start the route for example

b. Similar as above would be: presenting the complete route of a stage (which is not yet implemented). The tour originators always estimate how long a stage takes and when it starts. So also herer would have the possibility to display the route in almost real time.
c. Off course with live gps data this would be even more fun and really cool.

Does the GPS data you work with have date/time and altitude information by chance? I know GPS does have altitude information, but some systems might not record it. I remember using the ‘OsmAnd Maps & Navigation’ mobile app while flying to track lon/lat/altitude and speed. I wish I could record that info and make the flight virtually in Cesium.