Possible to get camera closer to ground?

In Google Earth, it’s possible to get the camera right down to the ground. In Cesium, the lowest the camera can go still seems pretty far above the surface. The images I’ve attached show the same camera coordinates, but one is in GE, and one is in Cesium. Is there anything I can do to change this?

Try

viewer.scene.screenSpaceCameraController.minimumZoomDistance = 1;

Just be aware of issue #2271.

We actually want to change the default so you can zoom in close. I expect it will make one of the next few releases.

Patrick

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, this produced no detectable change for me.

Ah, it doesn’t work for me either when I paste just that into Sandcastle. Try this:

viewer.scene.screenSpaceCameraController.minimumZoomDistance = 1;

viewer.camera.setView({

position : Cesium.Cartesian3.fromDegrees(-71.1106, 42.3736, 5000.0)

});

This could be a Cesium bug so I submitted #2791.

Patrick

Thanks for the reply. I just realized that this does work in most cases. However, I was trying to get it to work in a scenario where the camera was below the ellipsoid. The camera still should have appeared above the surface (the area in question was below sea level). In any case where the camera is below an altitude of zero (but still above the surface), only a black screen appears, and it remains as such until the altitude rises to above zero. Bug, or expected behavior?

Hi

only a black screen appears, and it remains as such until the altitude rises to above zero. Bug, or expected behavior?

Sounds like a bug. I expect this situation to improve by Cesium 1.13 (maybe 1.12) since we are looking more closely into issues when the viewer is very close to the ground since we need this for 3D buildings and many Google Earth users have asked.

Patrick

Hi

The default minimum zoom distance is now one meter from the surface and there is no longer an issue where the view needs to be set after changing the minimum zoom distance.

Dan

在 2015年7月13日星期一 UTC+8下午11:28:19,andre...@gmail.com写道: