3D measurements on point cloud

1. A concise explanation of the problem you’re experiencing.

I am implementing a measurement system for 3D point clouds. After some research, I’m trying to decide the best approach.

2. A minimal code example. If you’ve found a bug, this helps us reproduce and repair it.

There isn’t really a single piece of code that describes my problem. More in the following section.

3. Context. Why do you need to do this? We might know a better way to accomplish your goal.

Take a look at Potree measurements: http://potree.org/potree/examples/measurements.html

I’m trying to implement the same functionality in Cesium. Requirements are:

1. Drawing of points, polylines and polygons on the point cloud

2. Smooth updates when changing positions quickly (mouse move)

3. Constant lines and points sizes

4. Always drawn on top of the point cloud (depth fail)

5. Use documented Cesium API
    I’ve done some research, and came to the following conclusions:

6. Drawing an entity with dynamic positions (via CallbackProperty) doesn’t fulfil requirement #4 due to an open issue.

7. Drawing an entity with static positions and changing them on mouse move doesn’t fulfil requirement #2: the shape flickers

8. Drawing a primitive using PolylineGeometry (removing and re-adding it on mouse move) doesn’t fulfil requirement #3: the line “flattens” when viewed from an angle, as it’s a 3D shape

9. Drawing a primitive using SimplePolylineGeometry (removing and re-adding it on mouse move) doesn’t fulfil requirement #2: the shape flickers

10. Drawing a primitive using PolylineVolumeGeometry (removing and re-adding it on mouse move) doesn’t fulfil requirement #3: the volume is set in meters, and thus zooming in and out makes the shape change its size

11. Drawing a primitive using SimplePolylineGeometry (removing and re-adding it on mouse move, and calling Primitive.update manually to prevent flickering) doesn’t fulfil requirement #5 , as update should not be called manually. An example of this is shown here , you can try drawing on the dark globe in the middle of the screen.

12. Drawing an entity with dynamic positions (via CallbackProperty) and overriding PolylineCollection.update manually doesn’t fulfil requirement #5, as it requires overwriting Cesium code in runtime.
    I am currently leaning towards implementing using either 6 or 7 above. I would appreciate your feedback.

4. The Cesium version you’re using, your operating system and browser.

1.61, Mac Mojave, Chrome latest.

Hey Jonathan,

Are you aware of the Cesium Analytics SDK (https://cesium.com/ion-sdk/) ? It’s part of the Cesium ion Engine, and it does already have a measurements package that I think fulfills all these requirements. You can request an evaluation for that via the contact form here: https://cesium.com/contact/sales/

We are also planning on making the measurements available to use within Cesium ion soon, so that wouldn’t require an on-premises license to use.