3D-Tiles buildings disappear depending on camera view

Hi,

I have the following question:
In the Cesium sandcastle Cesium Sandcastle 3D Tiles Feature Picking
sometimes buildings disappear or aren’t displayed depending on the camera view.
What causes this behaviour - we can’t understand it.

This is the same resolution and we only rotate.

Regards

Rüdiger

Same effects are in the sandcastle

Why are the buildings shown depedent on the zoom in/out ?

Hi @Ruediger_Brand,

Thanks for bringing this to the community. Could this issue possibly be related to this forum post?

It may make sense to play around with the 3D Tiles Inspector sandcastle demo. For instance, setting Maximum Screen Space Error to 0 seems to help mitigate this effect. However, this comes at a performance cost.

-Sam

@sam.rothstein Thanks for the tip with the 3D Tiles Inspector, but I have some problems with the usage. Where do I see the tile debug labels ?

On the other side I played around with Maximum Screen Space Error . For me it is curious, that adjacent buildings aren’t displayed dependent on the maximum screen space error - value 8.

With value maximum screen space error 4 all buildings are displayed, but it is very slow and not usable.

I think there is no connection to

Regards

Rüdiger

Hi @Ruediger_Brand,

There will always be a performance cost to displaying a significant amount of data in your scene. This is why our default value for Maximum Screen Space Error is not set to 4.

-Sam

@sam.rothstein ,

do you have any suggestions why adjacent buildings are not diplayed at the same level screen space error. Does this error differ from building to building ?

If parts in the background aren’t displayed would be ok for me, but the gaps in the scene are not ok - is this ok for you ?

Regards

Rüdiger

Hi @Ruediger_Brand,

Great questions overall!

I am unsure if this is actually considered an error, or even an issue in most use cases.

One potential workaround for your use case might be to only display buildings in a given radius from a point (which could potentially be the camera position). Essentially, trying our 3D Tiles Styling language to display only the OSM buildings that are necessary. Here some code that I wrote with a basic implementation of this idea:

Here we are only displaying buildings within a given radius of a point.

-Sam