A WebGL Globe Rendering Pipeline

All,

Dan and I are writing a chapter for GPU Pro 4, A WebGL Globe Rendering Pipeline, that describes a few of the rendering techniques we developed for Cesium. We’d be happy to have a few folks review it. Please contact me if you are interested. From the introduction:

We present a WebGL globe rendering pipeline that integrates with hierarchical levels of detail (HLOD) algorithms used to manage high resolution imagery streamed from standard map servers, such as Esri or OpenStreetMap. Our pipeline uses screen-space techniques, including filling cracks between adjacent tiles with different LODs with a masked Gaussian~blur; filling holes in the north and south pole with masking and ray casting; and avoiding depth fighting with vector data overlaid on the globe by rendering a depth plane.

Thanks,

Patrick

Is there any way you can post this with a new link? I can find this paper online but it’s being a paywall on all sites I visit.

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane - thanks for the interest. This was a book chapter in GPU Pro 4, which I don’t believe has a free edition. It is possible that the code for the depth plane, blur-based cracking filling, and pole filling is in the CesiumJS code history on GitHub in early 2012. GitHub - CesiumGS/cesium: An open-source JavaScript library for world-class 3D globes and maps 🌎

Patrick

1 Like