BoundingVolume as a constructor

Hi,
I was wondering if there is any possibility of using a boundingVolume as a contructor, for example, for clipping planes.

Idealistically, my goal was to clip one tileset to another in the place where they overlap. I wanted to automate that process by using bounding volumes of tilesets. I can’t find an example of using boundingVolume as a constructor, so I started wondering if it is possible or if there is any workaround to do it.

Thanks for the question.

The Bounding Volume is currently a private class that we don’t intend to add to the public API.

However I’d like to know a bit more about your specific use case, it sounds like you’re trying to achieve something specific with clipping behavior that we might be able to address in a more holistic way.

Thank you for your answer.

The idea in the project is that there is one large photogrammetric model in 3d tiles and on it are smaller more accurate models of parts of the larger one (within the completion of the larger one). They directly display one on top of the other and I would like the small model to be displayed where they overlap and the large one to be hidden.

Hence the idea that where the bounding boxes overlap the display of the large model should be turned off. It would be possible to create clipping planes on the basis of coordinates, but the idea was to automate this, due to the fact that smaller models may be generated more in the future.

Thanks for expanding on that. We are actually currently actively working on better ways to clip or exclude parts of a tileset and it sounds like they would directly support your use case.
Feel free to take a look through this issue for some discussion around something similar Add support for concave /convex clipping planes + holes in CesiumJS · Issue #8751 · CesiumGS/cesium · GitHub
but it sounds like the approach we will take will be more in line with this issue: Allow ClassificationPrimitive to "hide" objects · Issue #5758 · CesiumGS/cesium · GitHub
Both will be updated with more information as we make progress if you want to keep an eye on them on Github.

1 Like