We’re thrilled to share with you Cesium for Unreal, an open source plugin for Unreal Engine that unlocks 3D geospatial ecosystem in Unreal and bridges the gap between 3D geospatial and game engine technologies.
Cesium for Unreal is:
- A highly-accurate global-scale WGS84 globe, built from our years of deep experience in geospatial with CesiumJS.
- 3D Tiles runtime engine, complete with level-of-detail selection and caching, to stream massive 3D geospatial datasets, such as terrain, imagery, 3D cities, and photogrammetry, from the cloud, a private network, or the local machine.
- Integrated with Unreal Engine Editor, Actors and Components, Blueprints, Landscaping and Foliage, Sublevels, and Sequencer to enable, for example, character and vehicle physics and collisions with photogrammetry models; atmosphere and clouds to add photorealism to terrain and imagery; Unreal’s water engine to add realism to real-world coastal scans; and using Unreal’s landscaping tool to add foliage to real-world terrain.
- Integrated with Cesium ion for instant access to your 3D content and curated 3D geospatial data.
The success of Cesium lies in the success of the community, and we believe that sustained and significant contributions to the ecosystem create a lasting impact that advances the entire industry forward. That is why we have found it imperative to open source Cesium for Unreal under the Apache 2.0 license, that lets you build amazing applications and experiences using the Cesium platform for both commercial and non-commercial use.
The Cesium Platform
Cesium for Unreal is a complement to CesiumJS, our open source purpose-built 3D engine for the web. We are advancing both engines in parallel and cross-leveraging our efforts; for example, by advancing 3D Tiles and glTF specifications, by utilizing Cesium ion services, and by simply applying lessons learned on topics such as high-precision rendering and 3D Tiles streaming optimizations.
We want to hear from you
We cannot overstate how excited we are to release this publicly, and can’t wait to see what you build with this. Please sure to share any videos, screenshots, or apps that you build with us on this forum or on Twitter using @CesiumJS.
We also want to hear from you about your questions, comments, feature requests, and feedback, as we just start this journey in unlocking the full potential of 3D geospatial for Unreal Engine.
Getting Started with Cesium for Unreal
- Download the free Cesium for Unreal plugin from the Unreal Engine Marketplace
- Also download Cesium for Unreal Samples from the Unreal Engine Marketplace , a project that lets you experience Cesium for Unreal and Unreal Engine with pre-built levels.
- Visit the Cesium Learning Center for detailed tutorials on geospatial and Unreal Engine concepts to help you get started.
Shehzan, on behalf of the Cesium Team