Cesium.js Integration

Is Cesium.js being supported by the Unreal plugin, and if not where in the roadmap that fits.

We have a number of use cases for this, and clients that require us to not to use cloud services.

Regards,

Hello,

CesiumJS and Cesium for Unreal are two complementary 3D Tiles streaming engines. Either can be used with a custom, closed-network backend that serves 3D Tiles, if you need to avoid using the cloud. If previously you have successfully set up a closed-network backend to work with CesiumJS, the same server should work with Cesium for Unreal.

Does this answer your question? Feel free to elaborate on your concerns so we can address them further.

-Nithin Pranesh

Hi Nithin,

Would you be able to elaborate on some instructions on how we could use the Cesium to Unreal plugin to connect to a Cesium.js server. As you have to connect to an ā€œIonā€ server from what I can see in the documentation.

You can click Add Blank in the Cesium window within Unreal. A new ā€œ3D Tilesetā€ actor should be spawned automatically. In the Details panel of the newly spawned tileset, find the Url property and type in the url for your custom 3D Tiles server.

The documentation is still in its early stages, these instructions will be added there soon.

Let us know if you have any issues.

4 Likes

Hello Nithin,

Following your suggestion, Iā€™m trying to connect to my custom TerrainProvider (basically a simple cesiumjs app with a terrain provider) and I get the following warning and no tiles are rendered:

LogCesium: Warning: [2021-03-30 22:49:55.967] [warning] [TileContentFactory.cpp:74] No loader registered for tile with content type ā€˜application/octet-streamā€™ and magic value ā€™

Has any documentation been created? And if so, where can we get access to it?

Hello @Johan_Germishuys ,

Just to clarify, is your goal to load in tilesets that are available locally on the computer? We created a new tutorial recently show how to do this: Adding Local Data | cesium.com

The URL in the tilesetā€™s details panel can be a local file url, a localhost, or any regular url.

Please let me know if this answers your question!

-Nithin

Thanks Nithin,

What software or method is used to generate / create the tileset.json and content for loading from that tutorial. Letā€™s say I had a 3D Model from any piece of software in say obj format?

@Johan_Germishuys ,

The format we use is 3D Tiles, an open format built for efficient streaming of massive heterogeneous data. You can upload a large variety of 3D formats to Cesium Ion to convert them to 3D Tiles (learn how to upload to Cesium Ion here). Cesium for Unreal is agnostic to how you generate the 3D Tiles as long as it is spec-compliant, but using Cesum Ion helps support Cesium for Unreal development :slight_smile:

-Nithin

Thanks, is 3D Tiles LiDAR Supported in the plugin yet?