CesiumTerrainProvider: Fails to obtain terrain tiles above level 3

Since a few days Cesium has started to give errors like: An error occurred in "CesiumTerrainProvider": Failed to obtain terrain tile X: 3 Y: 1 Level: 4.

It also occurs on Cesium Sandcastle for me. Seems to be a server issue. Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks for your help.

Hello,

I haven’t seen this problem. Does the terrain example on our website work for you or is that giving you the same errors? http://cesiumjs.org/Cesium/Apps/Sandcastle/index.html?src=Terrain.html&label=Showcases

Best,

Hannah

Hi,

Yes this gives the same errors. However, it seems tiles above level 4 are loaded from cache. So it could very well be no tiles at all are loading. The server response is "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied".

Is there some sort of usage limit on terrain tiles on IP basis? We are developing an application with a few developers. The application zooms in on the project (on the Cesium globe) every time we start the application, which is quite often when developing.

Best regards,

Laurens

We do have some code in place that tries to detect when people are downloading our terrain tileset and blocks it. Downloading our tileset and storing it locally is against our terms of service.
Tiles are cached by default, so I don’t think normal development would trigger this restriction. But I can ask the person who is responsible for the terrain server if he thinks that might be what’s happening.

Best,

Hannah

Hi,
Thanks for reporting this issue. We have automated processes in place that will block ip addresses given certain traffic patterns that may ultimately affect other users if left unchecked. That’s not to say you’re abusing the server, we do get false positives and tune our processes accordingly. If you could private message me your ipaddress that is blocked I’ll have a look at the logs and we can resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Alex

if you could private message me your ip address I can have a look at the logs and see which rule got triggered.

I was able to track down your usage and it was indeed a false positive. You should have access now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Alex

Indeed, this fixed it! Thank you!