Changing water material in UE 5.1 causes ocean to turn white

Hello.

I’m using UE 5.1 from Epic Launcher and Cesium for Unreal from the Marketplace.

• Unreal Engine Version: 5.1.0-23058290+++UE5+Release-5.1
  • Cesium for Unreal version 1.21.0
  • Visual Studio Community 2022 (64-bit) version 17.4.3

I’m following the documentation on how to edit the water material. However, I seem to have encountered a bug. Here are the steps to reproduce the bug:

1. Download the Cesium for Unreal Samples project and Cesium plugin from the Marketplace.
  2. Open the 01_CesiumWorld level.
  3. Copy the MI_CesiumThreeOverlaysAndClippingAndWater inside the Cesium Plugins folder and move it to the Content folder.
  4. Copy the MLB_CesiumSimpleWater inside the Plugins folder and move it to the Content folder.
  5. Open the new MI_CesiumThreeOverlaysAndClippingAndWater. In the Layer Parameters window, under the Water Material Layer Key, change the old MLB_CesiumSimpleWater with the new MLB_CesiumSimpleWater we just created. Save the material.
  6. Select the CesiumWorldTerrain in the Outliner. Go to the Details panel > Cesium > Rendering > Water Material. Assign the new MI_CesiumThreeOverlaysAndClippingAndWater here.
  7. Click Refresh Tileset multiple times. The ocean will turn white. If it doesn’t turn white, try editing the Georeference Origin a couple of times. The ocean will eventually turn white.

I tested this with UE 5.0.3, and this bug does not happen. Hoping to find a fix for UE 5.1.

I believe this is a bug in UE 5.1. More details here:

1 Like