Georeference Origin Height not at 0,0,0

Thank you very much @agallegos for the detailed replay. I will try this and let you know if any problem arises, meanwhile I am having an issue with Cesium Georeference Origin Height. If my understanding is correct; the Origin Height value should be aligned at Unreal 0,0,0 coordinates, Right?!. However the Origin Height is not aligned at the Unreal 0,0,0 coordinates in my case, could you please have a look at it?

Hi @shefypattambi,

The Origin Height should be at 0,0,0 usually - I have a few questions to help troubleshoot this issue. Can you share any screenshots that show the misalignment you’re experiencing, or the project files? How far is the Origin Height misaligned?

-Alex

Hi @agallegos
Sorry for the late reply. Please have a look at the images. The Mannequin is at 0,0,0. But my terrain is not. How can align the terrain at Unreal 0,0,0. ? I used the option origin height as 824m[My assumption is that whatever the value in origin height it will be aligned at Unreal 0,0,0]. But there is a gap between the 3rd person and terrain, How to resolve this issue?

Modify the “Origin Height” in your Georeference actor in the level.

To elaborare that a little:

I used the option origin height as 824m[My assumption is that whatever the value in origin height it will be aligned at Unreal 0,0,0].

That assumption is basically correct. But (very rougly speaking), this “height” does not refer to the height of the geometry at this point. It refers to a height relative to the reference ellipsoid. (This “ellipsoid” is an approximation of the shape of the actual world - it is nearly a sphere, but “squashed” a little). So the value of 824m would basically work if there was a “mountain” at this position that was exactly 824m high.

I tried to illustrate that here, quickly - with Paint, apologies for that :grinning: - maybe it helps to clarify that nevertheless:

2 Likes

Hi @Marco13 ,
Thanks for that explanation and illustration. Do u think a DEM value from google earth at the provided lat and long will help to align the cesium terrain at unreal 0,0,0 approximately?
I will check this on Monday and let you know the outcome, however.

I don’t know for sure, but I doubt that the model will be precise enough for that. I mean, even if it was just 30 centimeters wrong (because someone dug a hole at that place) it would look odd.

But depending on your goal: Have you seen the Cesium Unreal Denver Sample level, with the Unreal Character controller? You can just walk around the terrain there. The character just stays at the ground due to gravity, physics and collision detection…