hosting on a IIS server

Hello guys. Is ii possible to host Cesium on a IIS server? Using an OVH windows mutual hosted solution, and having no control to install additional package, I wonder if Cesium could be able to run on IIS8 with that environment : ASP.NET, ASP, PHP, LINQ, AJAX, MVC?
thanks

Absolutely, we run Cesium on IIS all of the time. Cesium is completely server-agnostic.

Sure, any/all of that will work. The core Cesium code doesn’t have a server-side component, so it’s just flat files as far as the server is concerned. Just make sure there are MIME types registered for things that IIS doesn’t usually serve. Here’s a sample web.config:

<remove fileExtension=".json" />
        <mimeMap fileExtension=".json" mimeType="application/json" />
    </staticContent>
</system.webServer>

Many thanks Matt and Ed. I was thinking Node.js could be necessary. Any simple tutorial to achieve this setup on my IIS server?

Again thanks

Bruno

Using the Cesium Viewer application as a reference. The simplest instructions for getting up and running are:

1. Download Cesium-full-b18.zip

2. Create an IIS virtual directory that maps to Build\Apps\CesiumViewer

3. Browse to that location.

That’s all there is to it. The only problem you’d have with this setup is the lack of a proxy, but you’ll only need to create one if you are planning on using imagery or terrain stored on a non-CORS server.

Matt

Hi Matt,

THanks a lot. This is working well. I am in the learning curve. Not so easy to feel confortable quickly but progressing. I am now looking to czml. How to use it and how to generate it as well. This morning if was wondering if it exists some way to manage layers to display vs the distance from the camera. For example like in STK have markers only, or markers+labels, ...?
Next big question is what you addressed in your answer about the imagery and terrain server. What do you recommand to be able to do this. I will have to test with specific data covering some part in the Alps

tanks

Bruno

Hi All,

Can someone point me to resources I could use to make a proxy that will run in IIS? Getting CORS enabled with GeoServer is proving to be a bit difficult.

Thanks,

A

This might help: https://github.com/jgauffin/CorsProxy I haven’t used it, but it should be a good starting point (assuming you can’t use it’s NuGet package out-of-the-box: https://www.nuget.org/packages/CorsProxy.AspNet/)

Hi All,

I’m currently using Cesium to load point cloud data in our project. And it worked perfectly when using NodeJS as the server.

However, when I tried to host everything on IIS, the loading of Cesium3DTileset doesn’t work anymore.
I took the suggests and edited the web.config file as following:

<configuration>
    <system.webServer>
        <staticContent>
	    <remove fileExtension=".json" />
            <mimeMap fileExtension=".json" mimeType="application/json" />
	    <remove fileExtension=".pnts" />
            <mimeMap fileExtension=".pnts" mimeType="application/octet-stream" />
        </staticContent>
    </system.webServer>
</configuration>

So there is no error messages to serve .pnts or .json files.

But the console log showed that selectedTiles:Array(0) instead of selectedTiles:Array(1). That means the .json file has been loaded but .pnts file has not.

I also checked the Cesium.js source code which I followed https://github.com/mattshax/cesium_pnt_generator.

where the Cesium3DTileset constructor has been implemented. But it seems like the code is also server-agnostic.

I’m not sure if there are more configurations I need to change in IIS. But this problem does not come from the code-side but server-side.

It has been bothered me many days and if anybody could help, I would appreciate A LOT!

Best,

Shirui