How to get terrain data for a small area without streaming the entire globe

Hello, I am new to cesium and I wanted to find out if it’s possible to stream only a small part of a certain area e.g London without streaming the entire globe in cesium for unreal engine. I am using a low-end pc running on intel HD graphics and my area of interest is 4km squared x 4km squared. so I just want to bring in that area in the hope it may improve the performance on my pc, if there is a way, please help

1 Like

I have the same kind of request.
We started using Cesium for real estate Unreal Engine projects and it works perfectly, but we need data only around the building/site, and accessible offline, baked into the exe package if possible.
That would make Cesium the go to landscaping plugin for every project of ours from now on.

2 Likes

Welcome, I had similar challenges. I’ve made it success by using cesium-terrain-builder to create offline server of specific area. I hope it will help you.

Regards,

Hi All - Thanks for sharing your requests. Please see How to load maps offline - #22 by leielyq for the information we’ve shared with regards to download and offline use.

I am using a low-end pc running on intel HD graphics and my area of interest is 4km squared x 4km squared. so I just want to bring in that area in the hope it may improve the performance on my pc, if there is a way, please help

Hi @CHRIS_KATAMBO - Thanks for your first post. The purpose of 3D Tiles is to enable all types of devices to be able to render the globe irrespective of the size. If you are still having performance trouble, you can change the quality settings (maximum screen space error, frustum culling etc) in Unreal to make it more suitable for your device.

1 Like

Thank you very much, I will have a look at it.

Thank you very much, I will experiment with unreal engine and see if it does improve the performance

Hi @CHRIS_KATAMBO,

Just wanted to add - if you’re interested in only streaming a small area, you can use Clipping and Cartographic Polygons to only render the area inside a selection. Here are two forum posts that will hopefully be of help:

This is the basics of using Cartographic Polygons. By default, it will cut a hole out of the tileset in the area you define. Cesium Cartographic Polygon - #2 by agallegos

This is how you can invert the clipping effect to apply to everything OUTSIDE the selection, rather than inside. How to use multiple terrain? - #5 by agallegos

Let me know if this helps!

-Alex