Is it possible to load and view Landxml file using cesium?

I have been exploring on how to load and view Landxml file using cesium.js and cesium ion, but I was not able to find any significant lead.
I am really excited to know if we can load and view Landxml using cesium.js, if we can then how ? and if we can’t then why ?

Looking for your interesting answers guys.
thank you !!

Hi @MUKUND_THAKARE,

Welcome to the community! I recommend checkout out our list of supported data formats.

As you can see, Landxml is currently not a supported data format. I checked in with the rest of our team, and adding support for LandXML is not in our near-term open source roadmap. My suggestion would be to use a 3rd party tool to convert the LandXML data into a format that is supported by Cesium.

Best,
Sam

1 Like

Hello @sam.rothstein ,
Thank you for your reply.
As suggested, I have gone through the supported data types and I do understand the need of converting LandXML into supported data formats.
Do you have any suggestion or best practice to follow for this conversion into supported data format ? like which 3rd party tool/tools I can use to do the same ?

Thanks,
Mukund.

Hi @MUKUND_THAKARE,

I personally do not have any specific recommendations for 3rd party 3d data conversion tools. However, it may make sense to look for a widely-used tool with a support network. Any suggestions from the rest of the community?

Best,
Sam

1 Like

No, LandXML looks like a fairly obscure and not very used format. There’s a tool for converting it to SVG, and I guess there’s probably some SVG to GeoJSON / KML converter out there, however you’ll probably lose some of the GIS precission in the process.

If I had to do this, I’d write a tool myself to read LandXML and convert it straight to GeoJSON, but LandXML is a fairly odd beast (just by looking at the schema and examples) with an internal model that doesn’t really match most other tools out there, including an internal coordinate system (that I don’t have enough time to deschifer at this time) with a reference model rather that concrete coordinates that needs some transformation logic.

The formats (and only two known open-source tools) are from 2006, with last update 2016 (with promises of future updates), so not a very active format. I suspect it has been overtaken by other industry formats? If you’re locked into the format by commercial reasons, then look into writing your own tool for the conversion, otherwise I’d probably think twice about choosing it?

Cheers,

Alex

1 Like

Hello @Alexander_Johannesen @sam.rothstein
Thank you for your suggestion, it helped a lot.

Also please correct me If I am wrong on “Exporting the LandXML from cesium viewer”.
Do I need to write a tool for this requirement as well ? or is there any work around ?

Thanks !!

1 Like

Hi @MUKUND_THAKARE,

As far as I’m concerned, it is not possible to export LandXML data directly from the Cesium Viewer. I hope this helps.

Best,
Sam

1 Like