Local GIS server VR The World for Cesium in UE5

Hi,

I’m using VR The World (by MAK) software for database generation.
VR The World works via Docker in order to simulate virtual server on local PC.
In VR The World there is an option to generate the terrain as Cesium Quantized Mesh - used for elevation data to be visualized in Cesium.
After generation of database, I’ve got the link to my new GIS layer (SRTM elevation, as an example). The link looks like this: http://localhost/vr-theworld/tiles/1.0.0/Earth_Elevation/
However, replacing the default link of Cesium Ion server in Cesium3DTileset to the new one doesn’t help.

Could you please help me with this issue?

Thank you!

Hi @Andrey.K,

You likely need to point the URL to the tileset’s tileset.json file. Try appending tileset.json to the end of your URL. The file might be named something else in your tileset.

This tutorial on loading data from other sources may also be useful - Adding Datasets – Cesium

-Alex

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your email. I’ve checked my tileset and couldn’t find the .json file. Instead of using my localhost server I decided to generate the local TMS with .xml files. However, I have .xml for elevation and .xml for imagery separately. Where should I point the URL as local files for my GIS layers?
For example, I created following links in accordance to the Adding Datasets tutorial:
file:///C:/TerrainData/Elevation/elevation.xml

file:///C:/TerrainData/Imagery/imagery.xml

But in Cesium’s plugin in UE5 I have only one place where I can place the URL link in Cesium World Terrain : Source : From URL

Could you please help me with this?

Thank you,
Andrey

Hi @Andrey.K,

To clarify, is your elevation data an imagery layer, or is it mesh data that should be used for creating the actual 3D terrain detail?
3D terrain data (as a 3D Tileset) is loaded in as an actor in your scene - like Cesium World Terrain. The imagery is loaded in as a component on the 3D Tileset actor. If you click on Cesium World Terrain, in the Components panel you should see a Cesium ion raster overlay component. Selecting that component should allow you to change the URL for the imagery.

If you are loading a 3D Tileset from disk, the tileset will need to have a .json file (usually tileset.json). The URL for the 3D Tileset should end in /tileset.json rather than /imagery.xml.

One more note for loading imagery from your computer - I believe that it won’t work unless you’re hosting from a local server. I don’t know what will happen if you try to load from a filepath, but most likely you’ll need to host it to get it to work.

Let me know if you have further questions.

-Alex