Pipeline to render lidar data

1. A concise explanation of the problem you’re experiencing.

I have just started exploring Cesium, so want to understand the entire pipeline of the process.

So I am supposed to have Lidar data, which would be most probably coming from Etwine and Greyhound(I still need to understand those two), and would be in WGS84 coordinate system.

My objective is to render this data using Cesium. So what do I need to do on Cesium side, and what should I exactly expect from server side(Greyhound/Entwine).

2. A minimal code example. If you’ve found a bug, this helps us reproduce and repair it.

3. Context. Why do you need to do this? We might know a better way to accomplish your goal.

4. The Cesium version you’re using, your operating system and browser.

Browser:Chrome

Entwine has a 3D Tiles output, but I don’t think Greyhound is designed to serve 3D Tiles. You may need to host the tileset separately from Greyhound, providing a link to the tileset.json url to Cesium.

Also keep an eye out for Cesium ion which will support converting and hosting of Lidar data in the coming months.

So with Cesium ion, can I host Lidar data on cloud of my choice, say AWS?

I am a bit confused there.
From documentation: 3D Tiles are a general spec for streaming massive heterogeneous 3D geospatial datasets.

And from Greyhound website: Greyhound is an HTTP server that provides dynamic level-of-detail point cloud streaming…

Doesn’t it make two compatible?

Inputs on clarifying this would be great.

With regards

Manish

So with Cesium ion, can I host Lidar data on cloud of my choice, say AWS?

The typical use for ion is to convert and host the data on our servers, but there is also the option to download the data for hosting it yourself.

Inputs on clarifying this would be great.

My understanding of Greyhound is it serves point clouds using an octree tiling scheme so you would request point data in a particular octree node. In contrast, 3D Tiles requires the bounding volume hierarchy to be described in the tileset.json file, and it may not necessarily be an octree or other known tiling scheme. Therefore its not possible to make spatial queries like with Greyhound. But you can get the same result by running a Greyhound server or a server hosting a 3D Tileset, historically they arose from different use cases and just have a different way of going about things.