Projecting Cesium Imagery onto Static Mesh

Is there a way to easily (or otherwise!) project the aerial imagery from the Cesium Terrain onto Static Mesh actors? I’m thinking maybe Runtime Virtual Textures, but can’t see how to access the imagery from Cesium in Engine in order to do this. A more straightforward way would be even better if possible.

Hi @DanPickering,

The short answer is that there’s not currently a built-in way to do this. I dug around in the code for a while, and as far I understand how everything works, 3D tilesets create/update their own texture coordinates to allow them to receive imagery correctly at various resolutions. In order to project imagery on to another static model, you’d likely need to adjust the UVs of your model on the fly.

There may be some way to use a material to map the raster overlay into a WorldAlignedTexture node or similar, but I imagine there would be some code involved.

If you’re interested in looking at the code, you might start with the Cesium glTF component, which includes several sections about texture coordinates - cesium-unreal/CesiumGltfComponent.cpp at ue4-main · CesiumGS/cesium-unreal · GitHub