Sandcastle KML demo slow in IE11, possible memory leak

Hello everybody,

Please try the following with Cesium 1.26, IE 11 (mine is update 11.0.35):

1. Run Sandcastle KML demo. The first test case (KML - Global Science Facilities) appears pretty fast.
  2. Select imagery “Natural Earth II”.
  3. Select the second test (KMZ) in the toolbar. In my browser in takes about 10 sec. for the first test to disappear and several more seconds until I see the new picture.
  4. Select the first demo again. For me, it takes more than 10 seconds to appear.
  5. Select the second demo again. It takes about 15 seconds to appear.
  6. After several iterations like these the browser reports “out of memory”:
    KML - Unsupported StyleMap key: highlight

KML - Unsupported feature: ScreenOverlay

An error occurred while rendering. Rendering has stopped.

undefined

Error: Out of memory

When switching from one demo to another the Sandcastle.reset function calls viewer.dataSources.removeAll(), but the icon cloud displayed by the first demo does not go away for 10 seconds or so.

Other browsers (Chrome, FF) don’t have this problem.

Thanks, Boris.

Hi Boris,

Sorry I missed this post earlier. I’ve created an issue for us to look into it: https://github.com/AnalyticalGraphicsInc/cesium/issues/4415

I wasn’t able to reproduce the out of memory error, but I did see that it was loading really slow.

Instead of using KML, I would recommend switching your data to the CZML format. Many users have reported drastically better performance when making the switch.

You can learn more about CZML here: https://github.com/AnalyticalGraphicsInc/czml-writer/wiki/CZML-Guide

Best,

Hannah

Hello Boris,

We just pushed a change that should make this example run better. It will be included in the Cesium 1.27 release available on November 1st.

Thanks!

Hannah