Textures not displayed (local terrain)

Hi,

when i try to display a terrain from my local PC, textures of buildings are not displayed.
Example: In the San diego example (The San Diego terrain is available in the cdb-to-3dtiles project page.)

i added a Cesium3DTileset using my URL:
file:///C:/MyFolder/tileset.json

Building are displayed but not its textures.
I tried to add CesiumTileMapServiceRasterOverlay with the same URL and it changes nothing.

How can i solve my problem ?

Hi @Gregory_S,

Does the same tileset have textures in CesiumJS? Are there any messages in the Output Log (Window → Developer Tools → Output Log)?

Kevin

i have not tested this tileset with CesiumJS. I use only Unreal.

I have this log:
LogCesium: Loading tileset from URL file:///D:/Archive_UnrealEngineProjectGSK/3D_TILES_Luxcarta/MapLuxCarta/tileset.json
LogCesium: Loading tileset from URL file:///D:/Archive_UnrealEngineProjectGSK/3D_TILES_Luxcarta/MapLuxCarta/tileset.json done
PIE: Server logged in
PIE: Play in editor total start time 0,266 seconds.
LogCesium: Warning: [2021-09-15 15:17:26.048] [warning] Only quantized-mesh terrain tilesets currently support overlays.
LogCesium: Warning: [2021-09-15 15:17:26.063] [warning] Only quantized-mesh terrain tilesets currently support overlays.
LogCesium: Warning: [2021-09-15 15:17:26.084] [warning] Only quantized-mesh terrain tilesets currently support overlays.

i have the same problem with:
file:///C:/Projets/UnrealEngine/SamplesData/Test3dTiles/tilesets/TilesetWithRequestVolume/tileset.json
using:

Maybe there is something to do in Unreal to add textures ? Something with raster ?
The SanDiego exemple does not display textures
3d-tiles-samples exemple does not display textures
Do you have some 3Dtiles sample folder of 3DTiles to download which should work at 100% to do some tests ?

Hi @Gregory_S,

The cdb-to-3dtiles tool currently keeps the texture images external to the glTF files, and references them by URL. This is not a problem except that Cesium for Unreal does not yet support this scenario. It requires that all textures be embedded in the tile glTF. This will be supported before long. Keep an eye on https://github.com/CesiumGS/cesium-native/issues/296.

Kevin

Thank you. Do you have an approximate date?
Are you thinking of modifying CDB-To-3DTiles? Is this converter well maintained?

On the screenshot of your website, you can see textured buildings. How was it generated?

In general, are CDB-To-3DTiles and CesiumForUnreal part of your development priorities or do you favor the development of javascript rendering?

For a professional application, is using Cesium For Unreal to display terrain from a CDB using CDB-To-3DTiles a good choice? Or is it not Cesuim’s philosophy?

Gregory

Yes, Cesium for Unreal is a development priority, on equal footing with CesiumJS. Our flagship offering for content creation is Cesium ion but CDB-To-3DTiles is well maintained as well. The only reason the CDB-To-3DTiles output isn’t supported yet in Cesium for Unreal is because Cesium for Unreal is a fairly new product (compared to a decade invested in CesiumJS) and it doesn’t yet support every feature of the ecosystem.

I can’t promise a release date, but we recently opened a pull request for the key prerequisite (https://github.com/CesiumGS/cesium-native/pull/338), so it should be in the next release or two. We do monthly releases of Cesium for Unreal.

Hi @Gregory_S,

I suspect Kevin is right about the root of the problem, but just to double-check, can you try adding another slash to the end of the file URLs that you are applying to the CesiumTileMapServiceRasterOverlay components? So file:///C:/MyFolder/tileset.json would become file:///C:/MyFolder/tileset.json/.

Hi,

It doesn’t change anything.