The Docs in General, Flight Paths

Hi again,

So I’m on the last stage of my app. It’s a total beginner app.

The truth is I’ve had a really hard time with the docs. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read this and that but I’m not really getting a full picture of how to do what I’d like to do. I know there’s tons of you out there that’ve been at this for a while and are making really great stuff … but from my perspective it feels like there’s a million different parts to the docs and it’s hard to tell how they all fit into one, bigger idea. Or multiple, bigger ideas that enable you to do multiple, different things.

For example, I can’t find in the docs where it explains how you create an animation to fly from point a ( x, y, z) to point b (x, y, x). I can find plenty of little pieces, but not a thorough documentation.

That said, I totally love Cesium. I wouldn’t be here posting if I didn’t.

If any of you know about a beginner tutorial ( not sandcastle ) … for creating flight animations, moving in space ( I put together the biggest hack … basically a function that just keeps calling itself to move the camera ). please do post. Also, SandCastle is awesome. Really awesome! But if anyone knows where I might more documentation on things like creating a flight path in space and then triggering the flight, etc.

Hope this came off okay.

Muchas Gracias!

Scott

Hi Scott,

It doesn’t answer all your questions, but have you seen the camera tutorial?

Here is a code sample for flying between two points. Copy and paste this into Sandcastle. The fromDegrees function takes longitude, latitude, and height in meters.

var viewer = new Cesium.Viewer(‘cesiumContainer’);

var camera = viewer.scene.camera;

camera.lookAt(

Cesium.Cartesian3.fromDegrees(-75.59777, 40.03883, 15000.0),

Cesium.Cartesian3.ZERO,

Cesium.Cartesian3.UNIT_Z);

camera.flyTo({

destination : Cesium.Cartesian3.fromDegrees(-117.16, 32.71, 15000.0),

duration : 4.0,

});

You may also want to see the flyTo reference doc. When you are in Sandcastle, double click an object/property/function name, and it will display a link to the reference doc (see attached).

You are right that the Cesium doc is in need of more higher-level, big picture, how-to-bring-things-together doc. We all agree and are working to improve this with more tutorials and better organized Sandcastle examples.

Patrick

Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at 8.50.20 AM.png

Hi thanks Patrick!

So I’ve got that down. I was wondering more about flying in space away from the Earth ( specifically to the moon ). So that the movement of the atmosphere gives the effect of flying.

I’ve tried without success to use what I’m using for Earth Coords to fly in space :

camera.flyTo({

destination : whatever I put here I always wind up somewhere on Earth.

});

Thanks again,

Scott

Hi again,

Here’s a code screenshot of what I’m doing now. It’s the only way I know how to create the effect of the atmosphere moving ( the user is flying away from the Earth ). I was able to move the Earth away from the user without rotate but the atmosphere remains static. The downfall of the way I’m doing this is it kinda makes you dizzy! ha

Scott

Hi team,

Will you please assist me how can we test or check the above code for flying object on the globe in 3d view.I need to execute it so that i can implement it in the code where i am using cesium js.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by a flying object? Do you mean when the camera is flying or if you have an entity that is actively moving?