What data formats/projections does Cesium support?

Currently doing a trade study on different GIS applications, mainly Cesium, ARC GIS, QGIS, and World Wind.

I’m wondering if there is a list anywhere w/ all the possible data formats/projects Cesium supports? Haven’t had much luck.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if there’s an absolute specific list somewhere. You might want to quantify your question a bit more, specifically around what types of data you’re interested in.

As a rough list off the top of my head:

• Terrain: Cesium’s self-defined “heightmap” and “quantized-mesh” tile formats
  • Imagery: Standard TMS-layout imagery tilesets containing PNG and JPG images, plus some support for Google Earth Enterprise servers
  • General rasters: roughly anything that can be displayed by a browser
  • Vectors: Cesium’s own JSON-based CZML format, and most of the KML format
  • 3D: less familiar with this. GLTF, Cesium’s new 3DTiles format, etc.

Hi Daniel,

when I was looking into Cesium I found this:
https://cesiumjs.org/features.html
Hope it's useful for you

Hi Daniel,

Cesium supports the following:

Terrain:

Imagery:

• Supports data from single tile, WMS, TMS, WMTS (with time dynamic imagery), ArcGIS, Bing Maps, Google Earth, Mapbox, and Open Street Map servers

• See the Imagery Layers Showcase, or take a look at the Imagery Layers Tutorial for more information.

Vector formats:

**3D Models: **

• glTF models

• We provide an online converter to convert COLLADA and OBJ files to glTF.

• 3D Tiles streams heterogeneous 3D data, including photogrammetry models, 3D buildings, CAD and BIM exterior and interiors, and point clouds

The Features Checklist page is a great resource as well, thanks!

Let me know if you have any additional questions or feedback.

Thanks,

Gabby

Still none the wiser as to which projections are supported. Like for example EPSG:4326 2D projection using WS84 expressed in Lat/lon order (https://www.epsg-registry.org/export.htm?wkt=urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::4326) ?

Map images, via ImageryProviders, support Web Mercator and Equirectangular projections.
Supported vector formats CZML, GeoJSON, and KML require geometry coordinates in CRS urn:ogc:def:crs:OGC::CRS84 with optional height in meters above WGS84 ellipsoid. CZML also supports cartesian coordinates in ECEF or ECI reference frames.

Hope that helps.

Scott

My problem hasn’t been solved yet, because I’m a beginner and I don’t know any better way to solve it.

If you have good methods, please advise.

I’m copying Scott’s answer from this GitHub discussion:

Cesium supports map image data in Web Mercator or Plate Carree/Equirectangular projections. This issue captures community interest in having native support for other projections.

I think the easiest way to get it in Cesium is to reproject your imagery using a tool like GDAL before serving it in Cesium.