When the DynamicPawn approaches the terrain, the terrain will turn black

When the camera is high enough from the terrain, everything looks normal.

But when I lower the height of the camera, the terrain turns black and white.

Is there any way to prevent the terrain from changing due to the height of the camera?

Hi @zhizhi_wu, welcome to the community!

Thanks for including those screenshots. I see that you’re using Cesium World Terrain. What is the Raster Overlay component that is attached to it?

I ask, because this may just be a part of the satellite imagery being used (through the Raster Overlay). The colors or lighting may appear different between levels of detail.

Is there any way to prevent the terrain from changing due to the height of the camera?

You can technically toggle the Suspend Update setting at runtime to prevent the terrain from changing. However, this prevents data from loading as you move around the camera, so it may not be desired behavior.

By nature, 3D Tiles streams data as necessary for the camera’s view. It’s intended that the terrain changes as the camera moves, so you can load the appropriate areas of the data. It’s difficult to prevent specific levels of detail from loading. If you share more about your use case, we can try to give suggestions about what Cesium3DTileset settings could help you.

Thank you for your answer. Your answer has been very helpful to me, but I still cannot solve the problem well.

The Raster Overlay component is that.It is the default setting.

I have tried the Suspend Update, and you are right. It does meet my needs (the terrain will not turn grayish white when the camera approaches the terrain), but as you said, it will prevent loading terrain data. Although the original problem has been solved, it will lead to new problems.

I want to be able to observe the terrain up close during runtime.

But it seems that due to the volume of objects in the camera? I’m not quite sure, using the default pawn provided by UE will not affect the terrain due to the location of the pawn. But when I try to bring my perspective closer to the terrain during runtime using DynamicPawn, the terrain turns grayish white, which troubles me a lot.Is there a method that can load terrain without changing color due to camera proximity?

I have discovered some phenomena again. In the initial scene (with a bridge and a sea), my perspective close to the terrain will not show the black and white phenomenon mentioned above. It seems that the black and white phenomenon only exists at the longitude, latitude, and height positions shown in the following picture. May I ask why this is happening?