2D View / 3D View - distortion in x

Hi,

following question - changing mode from 3d in 2d (orthogonal) I see a distortion in x onthe screen. It is bigger than in y - can anyone explain that.

the screenshot shows 2 viewer, with the same camera position and orientation in 2D and 3D mode !

See also sandcastle - sync views

Rüdiger

Hi @Ruediger_Brand,

My guess is that this is the nature of the 2D mode. While 2D mode displays world imagery on a flat surface, the 3D mode displays the same imagery on a curved surface, i.e. the globe. As a result, there will be differences between their appearances.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Best,
Janine

Hi Janine,

i think a little bit distortion is ok, but from my point of view it seems, that I have only distortion in x and that it is a lot !

Other question - I thought changing from 3d in 2d changes to orthographic frustum - but i see in debug, that I have a orthographicofffrustum - what is the difference. I have the impression, that the aspect ratio changes a lot.

Rüdiger

Hi @Ruediger_Brand,

Are you talking about OrthographicOffCenterFrustum? Both the OrthographicOffCenterFrustum and OrthographicFrustum classes achieve the same thing. OrthographicOffCenterFrustum is lower level and defines the frustum by its six planes, whereas OrthographicFrustum takes a width / aspect-ratio and converts that to the six planes. The OrthographicFrustum uses an OrthographicOffCenterFrustum internally.

Best,
Janine

@Ruediger_Brand,

A member of the Cesium team suggested switching to Web Mercator projection in 2D. There is some inherent skew when Bing Maps’ imagery, which is natively Web Mercator, is projected into Geographic (the default). Here is a sandcastle that demonstrates the difference.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Janine