Aircraft flight behavior and LagrangePolynomialApproximation

Hey guys,

The LagrangePolynomialApproximation algorithm used to smooth point-to-point paths, is a really good addition, but it's not done. I have stared at a lot of Interpolated flight paths in the past few days, fighter jets and passenger jets.

The demo in the Sandcastle illustrates how aircraft flight paths can be smoothed to show a more realistic path:

It's true, I believe the LagrangePolynomialApproximation path is better than straight line segments, however the resulting path often arcs-out *prior* to rounding a point, the way a runner rounds 2nd base on their way to 3rd. An aircraft does not do this, it just turns (most of the time).

Don't get me wrong, I could not do better, but I would advise some kind of "aircraft behavior" modification to the algorithm. That an aircraft does not get ready to turn at a point (like runner rounding bases) and that the aircraft is going forward. That an aircraft travel curve going forward is different than the curve going back.

Does this make sense? I hope this is constructive and does not offend anybody. Good job so far.

Thank you
Tom

Thanks for the feedback, Tom! The behavior you are seeing is exactly how the LagrangePolynomialApproximation is supposed to work. As you can see in that demo, we also have a HermitePolymonialApproximation. That may work better for your specific case. Altering the interpolation degree of either of these may also help you achieve a path closer to what you would like.

Best,

Hannah

I tried HermitePolynomialApproximation. The track path still flies as if it's anticipating a turn. I realize this is a straightforward math treatment of the data. If we can make it smart somehow; that the aircraft is flying forward, and it does not anticipate a turn, like a runner starting at 1st base and rounding 2nd base for 3rd. Food for thought. Maybe a good job for a math student.