Available branches and their purpose

Cesium Devs,

I have seen various Cesium branches on the Cesium github repository and have been curious about the purpose of each one. In particular, I have seen comments regarding at least one of the terrain imagery branches and the OpenLayers integration branch. We are interested in both and possibly more.

Is there any reason why we should not use these other branches for our own projects before they have been added to the master?

Thanks.

Hi Chris,

We do all development on Cesium in feature branches, which get peer-reviewed and merged into master when they’re fully tested and ready to use. You are certainly welcome to try out branches containing “in-development” work (I know the imagery_layers branch is of interest to a lot of people), and we welcome any feedback you have, but be aware that they may be incomplete or have broken functionality.

In particular, the imagery_layers branch has terrain and layered imagery, but 2D and Columbus View have been broken while we focus on the re-architecture in 3D. There are also a number of branches containing some experimental prototype work from our recent hackathon at AGI, as well as other, more mundane branches containing smaller fixes or improvements related to open issues, etc.

So, in summary, feel free to try the other branches to see what’s being worked on in Cesium, but watch out for problems along the way.

Chris,

I’ll add that the OpenLayers work you mentioned is not in a Cesium branch. It is in a separate forked OpenLayers repo - https://github.com/jktaylor/openlayers, and written by Jonah Taylor. In addition, the OpenLayers folks are doing some architecture changes for OpenLayers 3 that should allow a Cesium renderer (among other renderers). We just started looking at ideas for this, and I expect we’ll have a better idea where that is heading in the next couple of months.

Regards,

Patrick

Thanks for the explanation, Scott and Patrick.