Cesium causes access violation crash in Unreal 5.3.2

Cesium is causing access violation crash in Unreal 5.3.2 Is this a known bug?

Hi @Hot_Coffee_and_Flyin, I’m moving your post to the “Cesium for Unreal” topic so you can get more appropriate responses. Thanks!

Hey @Hot_Coffee_and_Flyin,

Can you provide more details so we can troubleshoot?

• What version of Cesium for Unreal are you using?
  • What did you do leading up to the crash? Please provide step-by-step instructions so we can successfully reproduce the error.

Thanks!

Hi Janine
Thanks for getting back to me.
I am trying to use Cesium 2.2.0 When I attempt to load I am now seeing a message that it is only compatible with the Unreal Version 5.1

I am confused as the Unreal Market place indicates that it is compatible with Versions 5.0 - to 5.3.
So, I may be using the wrong Cesium Version. Is there another version of Cesium I should be using for 5.3.2 compatibility?

Please let me know.

Best Regards
Ken Neltnor
@Hot_Coffee_and_Flyin
I

Cesium Version Latest one from the Unreal Marketplace
Unreal Version 5.3.2

Following your Cesium Quickstart - Located here:
Cesium for Unreal Quickstart – Cesium

The error occurs after executing step four.
4. You can add Cesium for Unreal actors directly to your level from the Cesium panel. In the Quick Add Basic Actors section of the panel, find Cesium SunSky and click the button to add it to the level. You should see a skylike gradient appear in the viewport.

LoginId:e8ef3d7c4dfedad61a18b49ce87d2961
EpicAccountId:4cf4355d2ee04686ac9ae96aa568bd12

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000040

UnrealEditor_CesiumRuntime!ACesiumSunSky::UpdateAtmosphereRadius() [D:\build\U5M-Marketplace\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\CesiumForUnreal\Source\CesiumRuntime\Private\CesiumSunSky.cpp:505]
UnrealEditor_CesiumRuntime!ACesiumSunSky::Tick() [D:\build\U5M-Marketplace\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\CesiumForUnreal\Source\CesiumRuntime\Private\CesiumSunSky.cpp:256]
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_Engine
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

Unsure how to proceed from here.

Best Regards
Ken

Hi @Hot_Coffee_and_Flyin,

Thank you for the response. This is not a bug we are aware of, and we’ll try to reproduce the issue on our end + follow-up when we can.

We had a new release of Cesium for Unreal come out today (literally), so I just want to double-check the version you’re using. Can I confirm that you’re seeing version 2.2.0 in the Cesium panel?

Hi Janine

Yes, this was happening on the old version as well as on the new version from today.
I also did a complete reinstall of visual studio 2022 just be sure.

Best Regards
Ken

Hi @Hot_Coffee_and_Flyin,

Thank you for your patience. Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce your error. The call stack you included is helpful, but I’m not sure what’s wrong from a glance.

Can you please confirm that the following steps match your process?

• I updated to Unreal Engine 5.3.2 and opened a new empty project.
  • I enabled the Cesium for Unreal plugin from the Marketplace, version 2.2.0.
  • Then, I opened a new empty level and clicked the button to add a CesiumSunSky to the level.

Additionally, can you let us know:

• What OS are you using?
  • Is there anything else that you’re using in your project? Any other plugins?
  • Can you see the same error in a completely new project (with the same steps)?

Hi Janine
the error is both reproducible and consistent in the reported problem.
The OS is Windows 10.
I am not using any other plugins.

The error does occur with a completely new project with the same steps.

Best Regards
Ken

I’m not able to reproduce this either. It’s a long shot, but you could try uninstalling and reinstalling Cesium for Unreal. Or Unreal Engine itself, even. Perhaps something is corrupt in the installation of one of them? Beyond that, any hints you can give us about what might be unique about your setup that causes this problem would be extremely helpful. Are you able to reproduce this problem on other system as well?

I use Unreal Engine 5.3.2, and install the CESIUM plugin 2.4. It always got compiler ERROR. After I remove the CESIUM Plugin then the compiling OK.

It doesn’t matter which game template I open, when I install the CESIUM plugin and the compiling error happen. I need to download the CESIUM from Unreal Market place? It’s always show old version like 2021 1.xx version. The latest CESIUM version is 2.4 from Unreal plugin management?

Hi @hawk_wu, welcome to the community!

Sorry that you’re experiencing trouble with the plugin. We’re not sure why that would be happening. Could you open a new thread on the forum? In the new thread, please let us know whether you’re installing the plugin from the Unreal Marketplace, or from Github.

We’ll keep troubleshooting your issue from there. Thank you!