Crashes possibly due to plugin tile loading (UE5)

I’m a relatively new Unreal developer and I love cesium so far. My main issue is that when the flight simulator is run, the program has a 1/3 chance of crashing, which I think is due to my computer trying to load so many tiles (or perhaps the whole map) at once.

I’m running a PC with NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 and 32Gb RAM so I wouldn’t expect it to be crashing so easily. If it’s helpful, here are my Cesium World Terrain tile loading settings:

Preload Ancestors: False
Preload Siblings: False
Forbid Holes: False
Max. Simult. Tiles: 10
Max. Cached Bytes: 268435456 [Default]
Loading Desc. Limit: 20

Any ideas as to why this might be happening? Is there any way to only load as much of the world as I need?

Hi @ijackson16,

Is this Cesium World Terrain, or another tileset? Have you changed the Maximum Screen Space Error property from its default (16)? It definitely shouldn’t be crashing on a system like that!

Kevin

1 Like

Hi @Kevin_Ring,

This is a Cesium World Terrain instance I’m working with (root component appears to be Tileset). I haven’t changed it from the default… Should I try to increase this number or should 16 work in general?
I can also try to send over the error message once I get another crash.

(Also, thank you for your reply! Another thing I’ve been loving about the Cesium team is how active you guys are on the forums.)

2 Likes

@Kevin_Ring @Nithin_Pranesh

I’ve reproduced the error. Here’s the resulting message:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0x0000000000000000

UnrealEditor_CesiumRuntime!ACesiumCreditSystem::Tick() [D:\build\U5M-Marketplace\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\CesiumForUnreal\Source\CesiumRuntime\Private\CesiumCreditSystem.cpp:210]
UnrealEditor_Engine

Any advice would be really appreciated, thanks!

Stick with 16. Raising the value will result in lower detail and fewer tiles, but you should be well within the capabilities of your system at 16.

I’m not sure what to make of that exception. When you added the Cesium World Terrain tileset to your level, it should have automatically added a CesiumCreditSystem as well. Did you perhaps remove it? Or maybe modify the credits widget?

Do you have the same problem with the Cesium for Unreal Samples project? You can install it from the Epic Marketplace, or get it from GitHub. It could be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the Cesium for Unreal plugin as well, as its unfortunately fairly easy in Unreal to accidentally modify a plugin’s data files in a way that breaks the plugin.

Kevin

Hi Team,

Posted about this earlier but want to mention since I have the error log now:

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION 0x0000000000000000

UnrealEditor_CesiumRuntime!ACesiumCreditSystem::Tick() [D:\build\U5M-Marketplace\Sync\LocalBuilds\PluginTemp\HostProject\Plugins\CesiumForUnreal\Source\CesiumRuntime\Private\CesiumCreditSystem.cpp:210]
UnrealEditor_Engine

This crash happens about 1/3 of the time I start my Unreal flight simulator that uses Cesium for Unreal. I saw that someone had a similar problem a couple of months ago, but it was deemed a bug. Any advice on what to do about this?

Thanks!
-i

1 Like

unfortunatly i suffer from the same cesiumcreditsystem crash semi regularly. only happens if i enter playmode and then it usually crashes unreal to desktop after 5 seconds

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x0000000000000450

UnrealEditor_Engine

Hello @ijackson16, @Chris_Hofmann

I’ve made an issue in our GitHub repository to track this problem.

As Kevin mentioned, it is possible to accidentally modify the plugin. Please let us know if reinstalling the plugin helps at all.

I have a few questions to help us get to the bottom of this bug.

• When did you start experiencing this problem? In particular, was it previously working with an older version of the plugin?
  • Are you modifying or manipulating the credit blueprint in your project’s code? If so, how?
  • Which version of Unreal Engine are you using?
  • Which version of the plugin are you using?

Any additional info you can provide can be helpful in solving this.

• When did you start experiencing this problem? In particular, was it previously working with an older version of the plugin?
    started with ue5. did not have the issue with 4.27
  • Are you modifying or manipulating the credit blueprint in your project’s code? If so, how?
    nothing done from my side. i simply aded the node through the cesium gui
  • Which version of Unreal Engine are you using?
  • Which version of the plugin are you using?