Google maps 3d data photorealistic For Unreal

Hi,
I just followed your tutorial carefully but it isn’t’ showing me a landscape
Cesium for Unreal: Photorealistic 3D Tiles from Google Maps Platform – Cesium

getting the empty blue sky. I’ve been using cesium off and on for 3 years, and Unreal on a daily basis, but apart from a possible issue with google? its not working :frowning:

1 Like

did a trouble shoot on the token

The ion troubleshooting panel won’t help much because the data’s coming through Google, not Cesium ion.

Can you make sure that you configured your Google Maps API key to use the Map Tiles API, and that your tileset URL is correct?

Hi - I’m having the same issue.

OK - My mistake. I actually did have the wrong maps API enabled. I fixed that and I can now see some horizon lines and in the google console I can see the API requests hitting, but my tiles don’t generate.

Please check that “Extend default luminance range in Auto Exposure settings” is enabled in your project settings. I just realized we didn’t mention that step in the Google tutorial, but you can find it at step 3.7 in the Quickstart:

1 Like

that was all ok. Maybe a delay while Google processed my account or something but this morning i turn it on and i can see the tiles, but not 3d so …
If i press ‘play’ it UE5.1 freezes, I have no mouse control, GPU and CPU both running about 40%
I can escape but if i leave it for a couple of minutes UE crashes with the f9ollowing error
Fatal error: [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\CoreUObject\Private\Templates\Casts.cpp] [Line: 10] Cast of Cesium3DTileset /Game/ThirdPerson/Maps/ThirdPersonMap.ThirdPersonMap:PersistentLevel.Cesium3DTileset_UAID_3C7C3FF36C5C8C8101_1516900023 to MetaData failed

Hard to say what might be causing all that without seeing all the details of your project. Do you have the same problem with the Cesium for Unreal Samples project?

I compiled the cesium unreal samples as you requested,added a blank 3d tileset, updated the URL and ran the project.

Pretty flat i’d say…?

Here’s part of UE log file… i’ve crosssed out the google api details…
LogOnline: OSS: Created online subsystem instance for: :Context_4
LogCesium: Loading tileset for asset ID 1
LogCesium: Loading tileset for asset ID 1 done
LogCesium: Loading tileset from URL https://tile.googleapis.com/v1/3dtiles/root.json?key=AIz
LogCesium: Loading tileset from URL https://tile.googleapis.com/v1/3dtiles/root.json?key=AIza
PIE: Server logged in
PIE: Play in editor total start time 0.129 seconds.
LogDerivedDataCache: C:/Users/Ben/AppData/Local/UnrealEngine/Common/DerivedDataCache: Maintenance finished in +00:03:42.281 and deleted 0 files with total size 0 MiB. Scanned 119487 files in 102907 folders with total size 13974 MiB.
LogSlate: Updating window title bar state: overlay mode, drag disabled, window buttons hidden, title bar hidden
LogWorld: BeginTearingDown for /Game/CesiumSamples/Maps/01/UEDPIE_0_01_CesiumWorld
LogWorld: UWorld::CleanupWorld for 01_CesiumWorld, bSessionEnded=true, bCleanupResources=true
LogSlate: InvalidateAllWidgets triggered. All widgets were invalidated
LogPlayLevel: Display: Shutting down PIE online subsystems
LogSlate: InvalidateAllWidgets triggered. All widgets were invalidated
LogSlate: Updating window title bar state: overlay mode, drag disabled, window buttons hidden, title bar hidden
LogAudioMixer: FMixerPlatformXAudio2::StopAudioStream() called. InstanceID=5
LogAudioMixer: FMixerPlatformXAudio2::StopAudioStream() called. InstanceID=5
LogUObjectHash: Compacting FUObjectHashTables data took 0.67ms
LogPlayLevel: Display: Destroying online subsystem :Context_4

Can you confirm that you’ve removed Cesium World Terrain from your scene, and that the only (terrain) tileset in the level is Photorealistic Tiles? If so, can you supply longitude / latitude / height coordinates so we can try to reproduce the view on our end?

Hi. I deleted the cesium world terrain and the screen went totally black. Putting the terrain back in again… I’m flying over London at the moment expecting to see something

I hadn’t DELETED the normal tiles from the project, but i have now and hence the black screen

what i do get is THIS :slight_smile: which appears on the original project i think
And i got the latest cesium update installed

That’s really strange. At the very least, the CesiumSunSky should still be rendering as a sky-like gradient in the viewport.

I’m not able to reproduce this bug, unfortunately. Like you, I opened the first sample level, deleted Cesium World Terrain, and added Photorealistic 3D Tiles. Can you see if the tiles render in our provided sample level? It’s called 12_CesiumGoogleMapsTiles.

Hi Janine, as you suggested the sample file you publish works ok so I don’t know what the difference is…
Thanks anyway, the 3d data doesn’t cover my area of interest anyway but nice integration.

Hang on… you’re trying to look at the Google Photorealistic Tiles, right? So to do that, you need to open a new level in the Samples project, CesiumSamples/Maps/12/12_CesiumGoogleMapsTiles.umap. You’re just looking at the first level, which is Cesium World Terrain plus Bing Maps. It’s has a global terrain model, but does not include any buildings.

That example works for me, but I cannot get it to work with my own API key. Is it ok to use the API key in the sample project for general use?
Many thanks!

No, you need to use your own API key in your own project. Double check that the key you’ve created has the correct API enabled (Photogrammetry), and that you’ve copied it into the URL of the Cesium3DTileset correctly.

That did the trick - thx :slight_smile: