Introduce yourself here!

Whether you’re new to the Cesium community or a long-time contributor, please tell us a bit about yourself, and where you’re based! It would also be fun to share how you got into Cesium and 3D geospatial.

2 Likes

I’m Omar Shehata, and if you’re on this community forum you’ll probably see my face a lot :wave:

I’m in Philadelphia with the rest of the Cesium team, and I started working at Cesium about ~2 years ago as a graphics programmer, and right now I do a lot of community support, helping you build awesome things with Cesium, and work on improving our documentation & code examples.

4 Likes

Hi, Omar!
My name is ZhenfengJin.
I am a software developer with over 10 years of experience in GIS, especially 3D Web GIS based on CesiumJS, development.
I have worked with Construkted Reality from 2018 and helped launching Construkted Reality.
I designed the backend API of the Construtked Reality and implemented it with Node.js.
I developed FPV(First Person Camera) controlling module, measuring module, CesiumGS tileset location editing module and immersive Ar module.
I am very passionate about 3D WebGIS, specially CesiumJS and nowadays trying to understand 3D tile ecosystem.
Thank you!

4 Likes

Hi everyone! :wave: I’m Sam Suhag, and I joined Cesium as a 3D Software Developer in January of this year.

I used to be a Simulation Programmer at Purdue University, where I was assigned to an FAA research project aiming to display volumetric weather using 3D Tiles. After working with CesiumJS and 3D Tiles, I was lucky enough to get on board the Cesium team. Since then, I’ve been working towards advancing 3D Tiles to enable more diverse use cases and even better performance. I’m also passionate about ensuring harmonious integration of CesiumJS across the web/JS ecosystem.

3 Likes

Hello all :wave:,

I am Aristeidis Bampakos and I live in Greece. I work as a Front End Web Developer at Plex.Earth where I am mostly focused in Angular development. Plex.Earth is the maintainer of the Cesium-Angular project, an open source starter pack for getting started with Angular and Cesium. I have written a blog post that explains how to use it in more details here.

My first interaction with Cesium dates back in 2017 when we were investigating alternative solutions to integrate 3D maps in our product, except Google Earth. I thought that since we are probably going to use Cesium, why not help to improve it, right :thinking:?

Generally I love to help in open source projects. So when I do, I go for the most trivial issues so that I can get comfortable with the codebase. Initially, I tried to fix issues with label good first issue as the contributing guide explains (Make sure to read it first if you want to contribute also. It is very clear and concise :100:).

To be honest, 3D is not my best point in programming in contrast to Angular :joy:. So, later on I tried to help in other ways such as tooling and documentation. I was involved in the early days of generating type definitions for the library and also to improving documentation. Styling is my thing so I even redesigned the error panel (something that you should not see normally :sweat_smile:)

Helping in an open source project should not always be in the norm of creating features or fixing bugs. There are so many other ways to contribute such as: write documentation, create a tool, answering questions to the forum, write a good issue to request a new feature or file a bug. Things that may not look important at a first glance but are equally useful for the community.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone,

I hope things are going well for you. I wanted to introduce myself. I have been involved with software development, primarily in Win32, since around 2006. I work in a language called Clarion. I’m sure many here have never heard of it. Here’s a link to it’s description:

Clarion Description

I have also worked in C#/.NET and currently dusting off my JavaScript skills with Cesium.

I have to take a moment to compliment the folks behind the development of Cesium. You have done a great job in creating an amazing environment for creating rich, imersive, mapping experiennces. Great job!

I currently working on transitioning my 2D map applications from Win32 to a more operating system agnostic JavaScript based model.

I have a fleet of vehicles that transmit their GPS locations using NMEA sentences via web sockets. What I haven’t figured out is how to update my 3D model’s positions and orientations in real time on Cesium map. But, i’m sure I’ll figure it out.

Anyway, that’s me. Take care and I look forward to learning from you.

Don

3 Likes

@Aristeidis_Bampakos this is super cool hearing your “back story”! And I just want to echo what you said about contributing to open source:

Helping in an open source project should not always be in the norm of creating features or fixing bugs. There are so many other ways to contribute such as: write documentation, create a tool, answering questions to the forum, write a good issue to request a new feature or file a bug. Things that may not look important at a first glance but are equally useful for the community.

I can imagine countless hours have been collectively saved by your Cesium + Angular blog and materials, for everyone who was looking for a way to quickly get started. Lowering barriers like that makes technology like Cesium accessible to more people, and that’s awesome.

@donridley welcome to the Cesium community! Thank you so much for the kind words.

I have a fleet of vehicles that transmit their GPS locations using NMEA sentences via web sockets. What I haven’t figured out is how to update my 3D model’s positions and orientations in real time on Cesium map. But, i’m sure I’ll figure it out.

I’m actually working on a new tutorial right now that would help explain this! Feel free to open a new topic if you’re still having trouble and I’m happy to point you in the right direction.

2 Likes

Hello World!

I’m Jordi Torres, I just joined Cesium as a 3D developer. I’m based in Spain sunny east coast. I’ve been involved in GIS, 3D, and massive visualization for years accross very different projects.

I’ll do my best to try to solve the issues you may have :).

3 Likes

Hello World, and thanks @omar for the invite.

I am TJ Koury, I live near Washington D.C. and work with the government doing geospatial things.

I recently started a company called DigitalArsenal.io, and we are working with Celestrak.com to create an accurate, interactive Cesium web app showing objects in public satellite catalog.

We are also working on our own freeware distro of Cesium called C137.js. Recently we have been working on some blockchain / crypto projects, and as a test decided to use BTC for software signing whenever we publish it to npm.

3 Likes

hi , my name is wayla

4 Likes

Hey I’m Brian!

I work for onXmaps, an outdoor-focused company based in beautiful Montana. We help people discover access opportunity and plan trips for outdoor activities such as hunting and off-roading.

I got into Cesium for displaying 3D web maps on our web application. I have had little-to-no 3D or GIS experience prior to this, but Cesium has really been pleasant to work with for both the geospatial and 3D side of things. I think it’s really sparked an interest in pursuing 3D development further for me. Props to the Cesium team for making and maintaining such a great product.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi I’m Anu,

I currently work at nearmap where I first started playing around with cesium and geospatial imagery and tilesets. Nearmap uses aerial imagery to construct high resolution maps and tilesets to make it easier for people to plan sites remotely.

6 Likes

I’m Shashi Kumar Verma especially working on arcgis product, recently started working on Cesium 3D.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Kathy.

I’m a newbie to 3D mapping and rendering and very intrigued by CesiumJS. I’m in a masters data visualization program, a data manager in my career up to now and have a visual art background. I’ve been learning QGIS and d3 and I’m interested in learning anything to do with visualizing spatial and temporal data.

I was thrilled to find such great things happening in my home city Philadelphia! Cheers!

6 Likes

Hello, Tamrat Belayneh, I’m the lead author for Indexed 3D Scene Layer (I3S) OGC community standard. I have over 20 years of experience in 3D software development. Over my career I have worked in advancing 3D graphics in the geospatial industry and have contributed as a 3d developer and engineer in various ArcGIS family of 3D products at Esri. I have also authored and presented numerous articles and technical talks including GTC, Siggraph, Foss4G, Esri’s developer and users conferences and many other internationally recognized conferences.

In the last few years, I have been focusing on using Machine Learning and Deep Learning in advancing 3d object recognition and mesh segmentation within a geospatial context.

_Tam

4 Likes

Good information thanks for sharing
vmware

1 Like

Hello everyone,i am Zhang Han from Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. My English is not very good, so you will see a lot of weird grammar :laughing:
I am a developer who likes to solve all kinds of strange problems. I came into contact with cesium through the company I currently work for. I am trying to use cesium instead of arcgis to do some government projects. I also hope to contribute to the development of cesium.

2 Likes

Hi Omar, I used to work in Geospacial 20 years ago with the Environment Agency UK. I now run a spreadsheet consultancy agency and a few months ago discovered Unreal Engine and started experimenting with real world 3d heightmaps etc.
I’ve been looking forward to the Cesium/UE plugin ever since I first heard about it a couple of months ago, and I’m just thrilled at the possibilities that it presents.
Well done to everyone involved in this project.

3 Likes