My thanks to the Cesium crew

Just wanted to express my appreciation for all the hard work that’s been put into Cesium. I’ve poked around at a lot of different open source libraries and projects over the years, and Cesium is an excellent example of how to do things right. Easily accessible source, well-written code, good API docs AND actual meaningful samples, and an active, friendly, and informative discussion group. These definitely make me feel good about selecting Cesium as the basis for my current project.

Again, thanks for all your work putting this together. I wouldn’t have the first clue how to start building something like this (not smart enough, and a severe lack of graphics programming domain knowledge), so I’m very grateful that there’s people like you who have that expertise and are willing to build something for the rest of us.

Mark Erikson

Wow - thanks for the kind words. Can you tell us more about your project?

Patrick

It’s an internal corporate thing, so I can only say so much, but I think I can give a general description. It’s actually two projects. One is a line-of-sight calculation server that displays the visualization on a map. The original implementation used Google Earth as the display, but I’ve since rearchitected it to also work with Google Maps, and now Cesium. The other is a new project we’re starting that will show a variety of different items on the map, and allow the user to view information and interact with them. Vague, I know, but you understand :slight_smile:

Design restrictions forced us to eliminate GE and Worldwind as options for the new project, which pretty much left us with WebGL-based solutions as the only possibility. After I researched things, Cesium was the clear choice. We opted to use my current project as a testbed, because then both projects would be running on a common platform, and it would allow me to better understand how to implement features using Cesium. I’ve run into a few things that Cesium can’t do yet, but most of them are already on your to-do list anyway (stuff like wide polylines, rotated billboards, specifically-resized billboards, terrain height queries, MSL/AGL altitudes, etc).

Mark Erikson

Thanks for sharing Mark. We’re hearing of a lot of folks replacing Google Earth with Cesium. Good news indeed.

Patrick