merging and updating of point-cloud-tiler results

1. A concise explanation of the problem you're experiencing.
Do not know how to update or expand a tileset from point-cloud-tiler, without re running the entire dataset. We have 10000's of laz files. Would prefer not to have to rerun the entire dataset each update.

Or is there a way to have multiple tilesets that work together?

2. A minimal code example. If you've found a bug, this helps us reproduce and repair it.
pseudo code example
./bin/point-cloud-tiler 1.laz 2.laz .... 1000.laz
now we have just received an update to 43.laz and got a new laz file, 1001.laz.
Would prefer not to rerun all 1001 laz process, rather just update 43 and add 1001.

3. Context. Why do you need to do this? We might know a better way to accomplish your goal.
We are building a large map, and we get expansions or updates to the map all the time. We'd like to add the new data to our point-cloud-tiler data, without having to rerun the entire set again. How can we make updates or merges.

4. The Cesium version you're using, your operating system and browser.
Cesium ION on prem Cesium-ion-3D-Tiling-Pipeline-Linux-2.2.1

Partial updates of 3D Tiles is definitely on our roadmap I think, but currently not supported.

I think your best bet is to split it up into chunks, perhaps every 10, 50, or 100 laz files can be a tileset. And multiple tilesets can definitely be present together in the same scene, and I don’t think it would be any less efficient. If the laz files have their location data then it should be easy to run things this way and make sure all the produced tilesets are in the right spot.

Let me know if that works for you.

The other option is 3D Tiles does support having tilesets composed of tilesets. CesiumJS has an example in the unit tests folder:

https://github.com/AnalyticalGraphicsInc/cesium/blob/master/Specs/Data/Cesium3DTiles/Tilesets/TilesetOfTilesets/tileset.json

You can see how a tile points to another tileset.json there. That would make it trivial to update just a chunk of laz files and it would all be one big tileset. Perhaps if the point cloud tiler has an option to output it this way it would make this workflow easier.