Post Codes and Photogrammetry question

Hi there, just another quick question:

Is it possible to get Post Code location data in Cesium? I need to allow users to type in their post code and have the VR Pawn teleport to that location.

Is it possible to get google maps 3D model data to stream in as a layer? If not, is it possible to get OSM buildings from other OSM sources? I’m not quite sure how to use the URL option here. I just wanted to see if I could get roofs or more accurate OSM data as I have a lot of missing buildings unfortunately.

Thank you! Amazing, incredible work you’ve done with Cesium. I am so grateful it exists even if the above aren’t possible. Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @Anthony_Attwood,

Glad to hear you’re enjoying using Cesium!

It’s not currently possible to get Post Code location data in Cesium. The only thing I could think of for that is to create a data table associating each possible post code with a specific location, then reference that table when the user inputs a post code. I recommend reading this thread: data - Obtaining up-to-date list of US ZIP Codes with Latitude and Longitude Geocodes? - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange
It also includes links to possible data sources for you to use.

Regarding your building data question:
You can only stream in 3D Tiles tilesets from URL. If an online dataset is not 3D Tiles, it won’t work unless you download the model and tile it. (Here’s the Cesium ion 3D model tiling documentation.) Unfortunately, OSM buildings directly from Open Street Map are not in a compatible format by default.
You could try creating your own building tileset in a 3D modeling program such as Blender, then uploading it to ion. I think I’ve seen some OSM plugins for Blender, but I haven’t used any myself and can’t advise on that.

I hope that this is helpful, let me know if you have any further questions.

-Alex