Unpredictable clipping of 3D volumes relative to the camera when the camera is physically near the entity.

1. A concise explanation of the problem you’re experiencing.

So I have some polylineVolumes that render in full when the camera is sufficiently far away from the entity. When the camera encroaches on the physical entity, there is unpredictable rendering behavior where the entity can become clipped at a seemingly random distance from the camera. This happens to some entites but not all. I’m not sure what is going on. See the gif below…

ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif

2. A minimal code example. If you’ve found a bug, this helps us reproduce and repair it.

Nothing crazy here…

<Entity

polylineVolume={{

positions: track_pos,

shape: computeCircle(2.0),

material: Color.WHITE.withAlpha(0.05),

}}

availability={availability} />

3. Context. Why do you need to do this? We might know a better way to accomplish your goal.

I don’t want the clipping of the volume’s rendering to be tied to the camera whatsoever. I’d like the camera to fly through objects if they do intersect. As it is, it appears the object is being clipped at some unknown z-distance in front of the camera, for some but not all entities.

4. The Cesium version you’re using, your operating system and browser.

Cesium 1.58 with React (Resium), Chrome 71.

demo_issue.mov (1.66 MB)

left tube clipping…

Right tube clipping…

Both of these tubes are the same length.

actually i figured this out after more searching. looks like since 1.48 we can set the logarithmicDepthBuffer param to ‘false’ on a scene which allows rendering at a distance of less than 1 meter to an entity. thanks team!!!